Membership Drive Contest With Prizes

Updates to the site or forum are cataloged here

Membership Drive Contest With Prizes

Postby Phlibbit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Attention Super Mario Bros. fans! As our nationwide screenings are coming to a close we can now more actively focus on the site. We feel that now is the right time to hold the first of many 'membership drive' contests in an effort to expand our community. The screenings were an excellent way of bringing fans of the movie together, so now we must give them a proper home.

We need your help to bring in new members and spur discussion! To do this, we will be holding a point-driven contest with several end prizes. Read on for more information!

Contest Rules/Point System

The contest is only eligible to new members or current members with fewer than ten posts. Points can be earned doing the following:

* 5 points for registering and introducing yourself

* 1 point for each post

* 3 points for creating new topics

* 10 points for bringing in new members

* 1 point for each Like/Follow to our Facebook/Twitter

Considering the nature of this contest, certain posts/topics may be considered spam by moderators and deleted/discounted. Please use proper judgement in your posting and contribute intelligently and sincerely.

Prizes

At the end of a period of two weeks (Mon. 30th, 12am), the three members with the highest number of points win a prize! Prizes are as follows:

* Third Place: Cinematic Wilmington by Jean Nance
* Second Place: A theatrical poster for the film
* First Place: David L. Snyder (production designer) signed promotional premiere photo

What If I'm An Active Member?

Active members are not eligible for the contest in the same way as new members. However, as we appreciate your continuing support, you may still garner as many as 20 points (rather than 10) for introducing new members to the forum. You're still in the game!

Fans of the film are everywhere. You will always see people commenting that they feel as if they are the only ones who enjoyed it. It's just a matter of helping these people realize that our site exists and that they're welcome here. Help us spread the word and expand our community.

As always, Trust the Fungus!
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Re: Membership Drive Contest With Prizes

Postby Redstar » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 am

That's it! The contest is now over! These are our three winners with included point count:

Third place, with a prize of a copy of the book Cinematic Wilmington by Jean Nance, goes to user AndrewTheBeatnik with a total of 43 points. This is his point breakdown:

5 (Registering/Introducing)
9 (New Topics)
28 (Posts)
1 (Liking the Facebook page)

Second place, with a prize of a theatrical poster for the film, goes to user IbanezJFS with a total of 64 points. This is his point breakdown:

15 (New Topics)
33 (Posts)
10 (Inviting a new member)

First place, with a prize of a David L. Snyder (production designer) signed promotional premiere photo, goes to user PresidentKingKoopa with a total of 70 points. This is his point breakdown:

12 (New Topics)
51 (Posts)

You three may claim your prizes via private message. Simply provide your home address to have them shipped directly to you. Hope you all had fun and that you stick around for our future contests with additional exciting prizes!
Redstar
Finally seen the Dark Knight trilogy

Postby AndrewTheBeatnik » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:03 am

How cool! Congrats to the first and second place winners! I plan on staying active on the forums for a very long time! I thinks it's an awesome place for all of us fans to come together and get into some great Super Mario Bros. discussion.

Thanks for the cool opportunity, and I can't wait to get reading!
AndrewTheBeatnik
They say it's "dog"

Postby IbanezJFS » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Thank you Andrew whenever our prizes arrive take a lets take a picture and post it on the forums. Hopefully 1 day if i'm lucky John Leguizamo will perform in Buffalo NY and I can get him to sign the poster ;-)
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby AndrewTheBeatnik » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:07 am

That's a great idea! Yeah, let's do it! That would be awesome if you could get him to sign it! That poster would have been cool to win! John might be a little reluctant to sign a Super Mario Bros. poster because he disliked the film so much! Haha! Good luck anyways! I hope we get our prizes soon!

I also ordered a Super Mario Bros. movie t-shirt from eBay today. Hopefully it comes very soon! I can't wait to sport a SMB T for everybody to see! I'll post a picture of it when that comes too!
AndrewTheBeatnik
They say it's "dog"

Postby 1upmushroom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Actually from what I heard, Leguizamo doesn't really hate the film, he just doesn't think it was a high point in his career. Bob Hoskins is the one who hates the film withn a burning passion. though I'm pretty sure a little bit is exagerrated.
Isn't this a little feminine?

Yes. I know. It was my ex wife's.

But you wear this stuff?!

Yeah on an occasion we have a date.
1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby IbanezJFS » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 am

I think now that 19 years have passed...He probably wouldn't mind so much. And now sadly he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and has retired from acting. My only hope is that he will start his own website and not only sell his autograph but pay to have fans ship something to him they want signed. Believe me that idea isn't as far fetched as you may think. People like Robert Englund, Ari Lehman, Sid Haig and a handful of other actors will actually sell their own autograph.

Granted i'm sure Bob is too big and too good for something like that but seeing as he is now retired from acting...He's gotta do something to make some money. either way i'm gonna frame that poster.
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby 1upmushroom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:44 am

IbanezJFS wrote:I think now that 19 years have passed...He probably wouldn't mind so much.

Wanna bet? That one interview where he famously quoted that SMB was the worst thing he ever did came out in 2007 (I think). I'm pretty sure his opinion hasn't chagned.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Serum » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 am

IbanezJFS wrote:I think now that 19 years have passed...He probably wouldn't mind so much. And now sadly he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and has retired from acting. My only hope is that he will start his own website and not only sell his autograph but pay to have fans ship something to him they want signed. Believe me that idea isn't as far fetched as you may think. People like Robert Englund, Ari Lehman, Sid Haig and a handful of other actors will actually sell their own autograph. Granted i'm sure Bob is too big and too good for something like that but seeing as he is now retired from acting...He's gotta do something to make some money. either way i'm gonna frame that poster.

I'm a step ahead of you, I've got a framed poster hanging in my office-- it came from a movie theater that actually screened the film in 1993 and is authentic in every way. It's one of my most prized possessions, it was given to me by someone very special who's not with me anymore-- the woman who owned the theater where I saw my first movie, "Beethoven."
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby 1upmushroom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:49 am

Is there anything significant on it or is it just a regular old poster for the movie? I'm just curious.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Serum » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:54 am

1upmushroom wrote:Is there anything significant on it or is it just a regular old poster for the movie? I'm just curious.

No, nothing of any worldly significance, however, the fact that it came from Elle (the woman who owned the theater) means a lot to me. I saw my first movie there when I was five years old, and on the way out I hit my head when I walked into the sunlight and she gave me a poster for the movie I just saw, "Beethoven."

Then, many years later, the theater closed down and one day I was walking by and I noticed her inside and I said hello. She was working on revitalizing the place and trying to bring it back to life so I offered to help her. In return for all the work I did for her, she asked me what my favorite movie was and I told her it was "Super Mario Bros.," and she said "Oh yeah, I remember that! Hold on a sec..." And went down to a room in the bottom of the theater and produced the poster for the movie. She told me it hung in the theater when they screened it back in 1993. Not long after that she passed away and the theater was sold and has stood dormant ever since. I guess it's a mix of all those things that makes it special to me.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby 1upmushroom » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01 am

Hmm, well I'm sorry for your loss man. Has anyone ever thought about buying that old place?

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Serum » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:10 am

1upmushroom wrote:Hmm, well I'm sorry for your loss man. Has anyone ever thought about buying that old place?

Yeah, my father and I are always trying to buy that place, but we'd have to buy the two neighboring properties in order to tear them down and build a parking lot that the theater doesn't have. It was built in the early 1900s, when people rode the trolly cars and didn't need parking. The theater seats over 600 people, but there's nowhere to park-- however the guy who owns it now has gone into seclusion and no one can get a hold of him.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby IbanezJFS » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Well my Prize arrived take a look for yourself.
Attachments
Misc..jpg
Misc..jpg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 4908 times
Last edited by IbanezJFS on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby AndrewTheBeatnik » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm still waiting in anticipation! Haha! Are the items being shipped from California, do you know?
AndrewTheBeatnik
They say it's "dog"

Postby IbanezJFS » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:03 pm

I think the envelope came from TX.
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby AndrewTheBeatnik » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Okay, thanks. I don't know why I thought it came from Cali. Haha :)

And also, I can't view the picture you put on Facebook. Would it be possible for you to put it on the forum so I could see it?
AndrewTheBeatnik
They say it's "dog"

Postby Redstar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:10 pm

AndrewTheBeatnik wrote:I'm still waiting in anticipation! Haha! Are the items being shipped from California, do you know?

I'm California-based, but I ordered the poster that Ibanez won through eBay. It was shipped from the seller in Texas. The other two prizes will be shipped by Phlibbit from North Carolina. I cannot guarantee when those might arrive.

I hope you like the poster, Ibanez! This is actually my favorite version of all those that were created. :P
Redstar

Postby IbanezJFS » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Redstar wrote:I hope you like the poster, Ibanez! This is actually my favorite version of all those that were created. :P

I do love it. I was able to patch up some tears (I have done this A LOT ;-) and I hope I can get it signed by 1 of the actors.
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby AndrewTheBeatnik » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:36 pm

IbanezJFS wrote:I do love it. I was able to patch up some tears (I have done this A LOT ;-) and I hope I can get it signed by 1 of the actors.

Good luck with that! I hope you get some signatures!

Redstar wrote:I'm California-based, but I ordered the poster that Ibanez won through eBay. It was shipped from the seller in Texas. The other two prizes will be shipped by Phlibbit from North Carolina. I cannot guarantee when those might arrive.

Okay, thanks for the update! So if you're from California, and Phlibbit is from NC, how did you two come to work together from across the country?
AndrewTheBeatnik
They say it's "dog"

Postby Serum » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:48 am

Huh, I've never seen that black and red and white poster, before. Very nice.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:57 am

AndrewTheBeatnik wrote:Okay, thanks for the update! So if you're from California, and Phlibbit is from NC, how did you two come to work together from across the country?

The power of the Internet and a shared passion, of course! :P
Redstar

Postby AndrewTheBeatnik » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:26 pm

That's really cool! We are all so thankful for both of your burning passions! Haha!
AndrewTheBeatnik
They say it's "dog"

Postby IbanezJFS » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Serum wrote:Huh, I've never seen that black and red and white poster, before. Very nice.

Neither have I but it looks cool and I may even start collecting the action figures.
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Phlibbit » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:28 pm

AndrewTheBeatnik and PresidentKingKoopa's prizes have been shipped! Look forward to them arriving and be sure to share your thoughts here.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby AndrewTheBeatnik » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:47 pm

I was so excited yesterday morning to see that a package had arrived in my name. Thanks again to the people of the SMBArchive for the cool opportunity and prize! Here is a photo of me with the book 'Cinematic Wilmington' by Jean Nance.

I've blacked out the background and added a fan made wallpaper in the corner and added a torn page border for a booky effect. Haha :)

Sorry for the bad quality! Plus, I just woke up and was still in my pajamas!
Attachments
Cinematic Wilmington Wallpaper 2.jpg
Here It Is
Cinematic Wilmington Wallpaper 2.jpg (250.93 KiB) Viewed 4839 times
AndrewTheBeatnik
They say it's "dog"

Postby Redstar » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Glad to hear that it arrived! Hopefully you enjoy it.

Look forward to future contests, so stick around and keep posting! :P
Redstar

Postby AndrewTheBeatnik » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:43 pm

So far it's been a great read. I had no idea how much history and how big a deal this place has been to the film making business. It was interesting to see that the most money spent on the Cape Fear Coast was in the year of 1993 of all years!

Thanks one last time for the cool opportunity. I will keep posting and checking frequently!
AndrewTheBeatnik
They say it's "dog"

Postby IbanezJFS » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:52 pm

AndrewTheBeatnik wrote:I was so excited yesterday morning to see that a package had arrived in my name. Thanks again to the people of the SMBArchive for the cool opportunity and prize! Here is a photo of me with the book 'Cinematic Wilmington' by Jean Nance.

What does the book have to do with the movie?

Oh and PresidentKingKoopa can you please post a photo of your prize?
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Return to Site/Forum Updates