Amazon/IMDb Scores -- Ratings for a Re-Release

Discuss the movie and related media here

Amazon/IMDb Scores -- Ratings for a Re-Release

Postby Phlibbit » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Would you like to help us in our goal to get the film re-released on DVD or even Blu-Ray? The best way to do this is by helping to raise awareness of the film while also showing that there's popular support and demand for it. If Disney, Nintendo and/or other distribution companies see that the film has interest they'll have to re-think the way they've been treating it.

Right now the film holds an average score of 3.7 stars out of 5 on Amazon and 3.8 out of 10 on IMDb. These scores were much lower in the past, but due to changing perceptions have slowly gone up over the last few years. It could certainly be much higher if we network and get as many people as possible to submit high scores.

This is where you -- the fans -- come in. We need your help to make this possible. We need you all to submit high scores to these sites and any others you come across. If you have an Amazon account, we implore you to submit a 5 or 4-star review to the site. All you have to say is why you enjoy the film and why you feel a re-release would be beneficial. That's all.

With IMDb, all you need is an account. From there you just click the full 10 stars. While the film may not deserve such a high rating it is necessary to counteract the many 1-star ratings it certainly doesn't deserve as well.

We all know that the film is much better than most people give it credit for. Demonstrating that it has fans through changing the way sites score it is only the first step in getting a re-release. We can do this with your help. Please consider this topic and feel free to post your thoughts or reviews here.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Re: Amazon/IMDb Scores -- Ratings for a Re-Release

Postby Prime Evil » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:35 pm

I wasn't sure where else to put it, so I'll just make a new thread instead of dithering in indecision. You'll find it written by "Nickdoctorwho".

For years after its release, "Super Mario Bros." has been slammed as one of the worst video-game-to-big-screen adaptations, if not the worst. Yes, it does have its problems, the biggest of which is its identity crisis. It has plot, characters, motivation, and all the other good stuff a movie should have, but it doesn't know what it wants to be half the time. Is it a light-hearted action/adventure comedy? A dark cyberpunk thriller? A biting social satire? It's all of these and more in places, but never has that one, single, unifying catalyst to complete the reaction.

And yet...that's part of its charm. It's all over the place, but it has something for everyone. As other reviewers have said, eagle-eyed viewers will spot countless references to the games, like a nightclub called "Bullet Bill's", and of course the infamous Bob-ombs. There are many, many more, but...let's not ruin the surprise, shall we? (Side note: Some people have complained about the current release's picture quality. A restored and remastered print may yet bring all of the details out into the open.)

There is also more to be discovered about SMB. Over the past few years, a small but steadily-growing group of fans has been doing research into the behind-the-scenes aspects, conducting interviews with cast and crew, collecting rare unproduced scripts and deleted scenes, and piecing the puzzle together. There should be a future 2-disc release with all of those treasures on it, because the bare-bones version that's currently out on the shelves just doesn't do it justice.

Soon, "Super Mario Bros.: The Movie" will be twenty years old. That's twenty years of an unfair reputation, and it's an excellent opportunity for Disney to bring out a new edition with extra features so that film fans and gamers alike can see the truth about this hidden gem of a cult classic. As the review on the front of the box says, "it's a blast!"
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Serum » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Good, get more people to write five star reviews and rate it five stars. Keep it up.
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Prime Evil » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Are four-star reviews alongside five-star reviews okay? Too many five-star reviews might give off a strong fishy odor.

On that note, I remember that Sony got in trouble about that a few years ago...paying off critics to give good reviews, or else creating glowing reviews and false critics wholesale.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Redstar » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Prime Evil wrote:Are four-star reviews alongside five-star reviews okay? Too many five-star reviews might give off a strong fishy odor.

4-star reviews are fine. That's the score that the current release deserves, so it's fair to give it that.

In either case, your review is great. Covers all the main points and does so eloquently. You really sell our case in the simplest way possible.
Redstar
Finally seen the Dark Knight trilogy

Postby Prime Evil » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Why thank you, my brother. :D Think I'll put it up on Facebook, too, while I'm at it. There's a function for it.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Redstar » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:13 pm

I posted my own review for the film awhile ago (back in July) but I'll still post it here. I'm proud of everything I wrote since I feel it illustrates what there is to enjoy about the movie pretty well. :P

Read it HERE.

In the same vein as Ghostbusters nine years prior, Super Mario Bros. is a film that tackles the concepts of science, pseudo-science and the paranormal in a decidedly tongue-in-cheek manner.

Super Mario Bros. envisions a parallel world where surviving dinosaurs have evolved into creatures resembling humans. However, everything else about them is humorously inhuman. Dinohattan, their world's capitol and mirror of New York, is a melting pot of fashion and atmosphere that takes inspiration from both the griminess of Blade Runner and zaniness of Beetlejuice.

And that is why this film is an instant classic: by grabbing the most visually satisfying elements of the previous decade and spinning them through the unique visions of directors Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel, Super Mario Bros. managed to be leaps and bounds ahead of the popcorn blockbusters of the same year.

The pure inventiveness of Super Mario Bros.' concept is easily matched by the visually exciting special effects, which are a perfect balance of the best practical effects the industry could then offer and groundbreaking CGI that had never been done before.

Many people feel that this movie just isn't good. Really, that boils down to simply not getting what's being watched. While it may have its flaws as far as structure and pacing, everything from the acting to the witty dialogue is top-notch and well worth checking out for yourself.

Overall, Super Mario Bros. is an adventure you will not soon forget. While it is best appreciated as '90s-inspired nostalgia, it is also a favorite for a new generation as it is introduced to our own children. Don't miss your chance to revisit this classic while also getting your own kids hooked!
Redstar

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Mine is being processed. I gave it four stars, not just because-- while I love the movie, I know it's not the greatest thing ever made-- but also because of the quality of the product, such as the iffy widescreen and lack of extras. Here is the text of my review:

The Super Mario Bros. movie is an interesting look back in time

The Super Mario Bros. movie is an interesting treat for those who love Mario and have an open mind.

A lot of people dump on it because it doesn't quite resemble the Mario they know, but when it comes to Hollywood, that is nothing new. We've seen what Adam West did to Batman before Frank Miller took him back to his darker roots, and similarly, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon which became a smash hit and cultural phenomenon bore little resemblance to the grim 'n gritty comic book parody originally envisioned by creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird. Ironically, the popularity brought on by that cartoon would lead the TMNT to their own series of major motion pictures, none of which resembled the cartoon very much.

And then we have the criticisms that this world of Mario does not resemble what we know today. Of course, this portrayal was created before Charles Martinet gave him an Italian accent and punctuated so many of his actions with yells of "woo-hoo!" and "yippee!", so there would have been no way for the movies to get that unless they were to have created it, and for the games to take it from that. Obviously, that isn't how things played out.

This version of Super Mario Bros. follows on from a more oldschool interpretation of the characters, where they come from Brooklyn instead of the Mushroom Kingdom, and speak accordingly. Mario is a bit more gruff-sounding, but that's nothing new-- at least, not to fans of the day, as those who watched the cartoons can attest. And while the cartoons based on Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World were a bit more true to the games, the movie is more like the original Super Show, in that they played things rather fast and loose with what little the games had managed to establish by this time.

To that end, though records show that the directors had no idea what they were doing, the end result manages to be an enjoyable enough work on its own. Mario and Luigi have an enjoyable brotherly rapport, and while Dennis Hopper could have used a big tube of red hair dye, horns, and bushy eyebrows to better approximate a Koopa recognizable to fans, his cartoonish supervillainy seems to strike an appropriate balance to the darkened atmosphere provided by the post-apocalyptic world presented in the parallel dimension of Dinohattan.

In fact, the movie feels almost like a big-budget Mario film version of what SEGA and DiC produced in the Saturday morning version of Sonic the Hedgehog, which came out around the same time. Both have their environmental themes, and where Sonic plays with turning organic creatures into robots (not cyborgs, but full metal-and-circuitry robots), Mario instead features dinosaurs and evolution-- or more precisely, de-evolution, Koopa's weapon of choice against those who would stand in the way of his goal of unifying his resource-depleted world with ours.

Of course, one obviously became a hit with its fandom, while the other did not. If you can't tell which is which, just know that Sonic has kept the characters of that cartoon alive to this day through Archie's comic book.

And though the movie is a bit darker than the Mario world fans know and love today, it's not SO dark as to be off-putting. The movie drew influence from the 1984 film Ghostbusters, and you can see how some of that came through in the humor provided to temper the grim setting.

Another complaint about the movie is how it seems to resemble very little in the games, but the truth of the matter is that while it does not bear as strong a resemblance as earlier drafts of the script had intended, those working behind the scenes did their best to subvert the wishes of the directors and include a number of nods to the games. And while some are plainly obvious, such as the neon signs reading "Bullet Bill's," there are also a lot of other really subtle touches which seem designed to reach out to fans of the games, and can require multiple viewings just to catch them all. There may be some question as to which ones were deliberate, and which ones are coincidence, but that's all part of the fun of watching, to see how many you can find.

(Hint: Pay close attention to Mario's battle with Koopa near the end of the movie, and see if some of those scenes don't ring familiar with what you know of their fights in the early games.)

The Super Mario Bros. movie is an interesting piece of the franchise's history, and while it diverges from its origins in some ways, it still manages to embrace them in others. In fact, Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto has even gone on the record as stating that he felt they may have even tried a little too much to be like the games.

Again, it's nothing new: just look at the current Transformers movies, or even compare the original toyline to the original cartoon-- changes were made, as they always are. The fact that Goombas were seven-foot tall dinosaur soldiers instead of seven-foot walking mushrooms with eyes would not have likely made a huge difference.

Beyond the film itself, the problems with this product are in how it's presented. The widescreen only works when you're viewing it in fullscreen mode, which means playing it in 16:9 stretches the image. In addition, it's incredibly bare-bones, whereas the European releases of the film have included trailers and behind-the-scenes material, which help shed a little light on the direction intended for this version of Nintendo's mascot.

It's not the greatest movie ever made, but it is enjoyable for Mario fans in the right state of mind and who can appreciate such trivia from the franchise's earlier days. That is, unless you're the sort who embraces the likes of Batman Begins or The Dark Knight, but spits at the Adam West movie in resentment. To put it another way: if you're the sort who can only accept one vision of a character, you'll want to avoid this, but if you're open to all sorts of interpretations, then you'll definitely find something of interest here.

...oops. I did it again...

Edit: I went and edited in the bit from Miyamoto.
Last edited by LBD_Nytetrayn on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
LBD_Nytetrayn
Fried Tweeter--Only 20 Koopons

Postby Roareye » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:43 am

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars, and posted on both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.

I also rated it 8 out of 10 on IMDB and posted the review there too (With some light trimmings to fit in with their guidelines).

Hopefully this is another small step in the right direction. The influx of members here, the raising reviews and the calling out for a decent adaption of the movie should start to make some headway if all goes well.

Super Mario Bros the Movie manages several well-known things - firstly it's the first ever mainstream Video Game Movie adaption, and secondly star Bob Hoskins has stated it as the worst film he's ever made.

So how can I review this film so highly, despite the main star's objections to the quality of it?

The truth of the matter is that this film isn't actually as terrible as the hype states it is. Being the first Hollywood adaption of a video game series, and being extremely different from it's source material, there wasn't really anything to compare it to. If you were hoping for a genuine conversion of the game's storyline into a movie, then you are going to be highly disappointed - but then you've made a rather rash assumption that the basic story of the game series would work as a film to begin with. Movies need to be like epic events, a major moment of the character's lives catalogued within an hour and a half (minimum). The game's theme of 'Bowser has the Princess, run into castle and have toad say "Your Princess is in another castle" 7 or 8 times before the end' doesn't make for a good film.

Excuses aside, the film does succeed in the way it intends to. It is extremely fun. Unlike other films with it's reputation, the Super Mario Bros Movie is genuinely enjoyable and even more so thanks to the few downfalls in it's script. Bob Hoskins cracks me up as Mario "Get Your Belt on Kid! We're goin' in!", and Dennis Hopper is clearly the inspiration for Doctor Evil from Austin Powers "See you later, Alligator". The movie manages to do something few films manage - it improves with age. I'm not going to state that it's as superb as Blade Runner (As stated on the box), because they're from two very different worlds. Blade Runner is a classic in terms of being a thought-provoking high-calibre sci-fi drama, Super Mario is a classic in terms of being a cheesy fun-fueled thrill-ride. The only reason these two were compared in the first place was the similarity of a run-down ugly futuristic city, both of which were furnished with surprisingly high quality set design and standards. I would love to see a full Blu-Ray restoration of this movie because there is so much intricate work done on the backgrounds and in the details that the additional quality Blu-Ray affords would allow us even more joy. There are some good jokes in here, the pace is good and never slacks, and while there are some bad script-writing problems the enjoyment should allow most people to gloss over those issues without much problem (Look at Star Trek 2009, horrific script, plotholes and some truly terrible Hollywood writing but because it was so fun and full of action, it is hailed as a great film). This makes it more closely related to being the Star Trek 09 movie of its day, with special effects that were (at the time) really impressive and a mixture of family humour and more adult action (Bob Hoskins sticking his face in a black woman's chest - golden).

I would love to see a restored Blu-Ray of this movie, as it is a great fun movie. It is more fun than a lot of more recent video game based movies (The Resident Evil series is stale, the Degeneration movie was missable, the Final Fantasy films were badly directed, the Japanese even got it wrong with Yakuza: Like A Dragon...), which are mostly bland (Something nobody could say about Super Mario Bros, whether they like it or not) or outright horrific, especially if made by Uwe Boll.

Super Mario Bros is not the best movie ever made by a long margin, but it never intended to be. It was not supposed to be a movie epic like Blade Runner or 2001: A Space Odyssey, nor was it supposed to be a direct translation of the game, which in itself would have been far worse and less enjoyable. It was intended to stand on its own two feet as a fun, family-oriented action movie with darker sci-fi undertones and while it never accomplishes them to perfection, it certainly succeeded well enough to continuously provide a fun and entertaining movie experience.

Some ideas are quite cool, others are a little childish, but that tends to come with the territory with family-friendly Hollywood movies. Again, now more than ever, Nintendo are family-oriented and their Wii console is centred around allowed the kids in as much as the teens and adults - another sign of this film being more accurate now than it was even at the time of its release.

As for possible Blu-Ray extras, I would adore an audio commentary by Bob Hoskins with him just hating on the film and getting irate. You can imagine that would be a funny commentary. Such things have been done before, the Raw Deal Blu-Ray has an HD extra of a movie critic slagging off the movie. He-man DVDs have fan-commentaries ragging on the quality of the episodes while still speaking fondly of the series they adore. If the extras on these don't harm the sales, then the same thing for Super Mario Bros would only raise the sales of this film as people would be keen to hear what he has to say since his outbursts on the movie in the media. Other extras can include original script outlines and differences, several deleted scenes (Which have been spotted in promotional media and found in shooting scripts and screen tests) and the possibility of a re-cut to lose elements which lost this film it's deserved acclaim - such as the bad animated sequence at the start which can be replaced with the original footage of Koopa chasing Daisy into Brooklyn.

Hope to see a decent Blu-Ray release of this movie soon. They've got Blu-Ray releases of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and other video game movies of the era, Super Mario deserves at least the same.
Roareye
They say it's "dog"

Postby Serum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:29 am

Amazon Review/IMDb Review: (Amazon: 5/5 stars, IMDb: 10/10)

My All-Time Favorite Movie!

Super Mario Bros. is a movie with a troubled history.

It initially was written as a fantasy movie by Tom S. Parker and Jim Jennewein with three foot Toad people and three foot Goombas, Hammer Bros, a turtle-shelled King Koopa and rolling green hills of the Mushroom Kingdom, with castles, green pipes and a damsel in distress-- that was one of the first drafts of the screenplay, written in 1991.

In 1992, Rocky Morton and Anabel Jankel took over the project and wanted to take the film in a more 'adult' direction, so they hired screenwriters Parker Bennett and Terry Runte who wrote a Ghostbusters- influenced science fiction movie with thousands of references to the game, but alas, it was not meant to be. So then they hired Dick Clement and Ian la Frenais, who wrote a hard-boiled, balls-to-the-wall Mad Max inspired movie with fewer references to the game but had stronger character development and a better plot-- this is the script that Bob Hoskins, Dennis Hopper and Fiona Shaw read and decided to join the project, but were very dismayed when on the first day of shooting they were handed an entire new script by Edward Solomon and Ryan Rowe. As the filming progressed, the script changed many times. The directors wanted a more 'adult' sci-fi film, but the producers wanted something more family friendly-- it tried to be too many things at once. But in the end, we got a quirky and fairly original film.

It pains me to admit this, but I didn't even know who Mario was until 1996.

My parents never really bought into the video-game thing until the Nintendo 64-- which I got on either my ninth birthday or Christmas of 1996. The first game I got on that system was Super Mario 64, both of which (the very same console and the cartridge) are still in pristine condition to this day.

However, it was not until the next year, 1997, a banner year, that I was made aware of the existence of a movie based on our favorite plumbers. I was watching a movie and I said to my Dad, "wouldn't it be cool if they made a movie out of Mario?" To which he replied: "Oh yeah, the Super Mario Bros. movie was on the Sci-Fi channel the other day, I wanted to call you but you weren't home," much to my shock and awe. Now, before you read on, you must know that when I was 9 or 10, Bob Hoskins was my favorite actor (and still is today) and I had no idea of his involvement in a Mario motion picture. So I said: "Oh my God, we got to rent it-- who plays Mario?" To which my jaw dropped to the center of the Earth when he replied "Your buddy, Bob Hoskins," who I admired for such movies as Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Mermaids. So we dropped everything we were doing and drove to the video-store and rented a copy of the movie.

Well, it blew me away then, and it blows me away now, every time I watch it. Bob Hoskins, albeit hating his experience on the project pulled through tried and true and delivered a powerful performance as Super Mario and I was introduced to a bunch of other actors like John Leguizamo, who I would go on to admire in Romeo + Juliet and Land of the Dead, as well as Dennis Hopper who is in two of my favorites: Mad Dog Morgan in which he plays the titular character, and in Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, which to this day is the only movie I've ever seen him play a hero and not a villain. (Incidentally, John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper appear together on screen as adversaries once again in George Romero's Land of the Dead, which you should check out!) Other actors like Fisher Stevens I would enjoy in the "Short Circuit" films, and Samantha Mathis I already admired for Fern Gully, and would go on to enjoy her in American Psycho, in which she plays Christian Bale's affair. I was so young when I first saw the movie, I didn't care that it wasn't exactly like the games-- but I appreciated that they just went ahead and made a movie based on Super Mario Bros. That's something that has truly withstood the winds of time-- I still love the movie today as much as I did when I was a kid.

Even though it's not the best movie in the world, it is my favorite, and has been my favorite movie since the summer that, I think, truly concluded my childhood. In the years since, Super Mario Bros. continues to be a source of inspiration and happiness for me. And I thank everyone involved in the movie for that. And I know that in the years to come, with the possibilities of a director's cut on Blu-Ray and lots of special features, it will be a source of endless happiness for me for the rest of my life.

For more great information on the Super Mario Bros. movie, check out Super Mario Bros. The Movie Archive!

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby PowerGlove79 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Imagination gone wild. Cyberpunk for kids

I first saw the trailer for this movie when I was 13 years old and I went and saw TMNT 3 in the theater back in 1993. And I couldn't have been more excited for a movie than I was for Super Mario Bros. It was my favorite video game becoming a live action movie. I was lucky enough to see a sneak preview of it before it opened, and unlike the critics, I loved every minute of it and I still do. Sure, the story is a bit all over the place and at times lacks focus. But it is a visually stunning looking film that I truly believe should have at least been nominated for Set Design. Alot of people have said this film is like "Blade Runner For Kids". And I can definitely see the resemblence in the visual style of both films. The actors do a really good job for the type of material it is. Dennis Hopper eats up the scenery every chance he gets, and for this type of role, thats a good thing because he just goes all out. Hoskins And Leguizamo have gone on record as not enjoying doing this film, (and according to Hoskins, thats an understatement). But they have a good rapport with each other and you can tell that these brothers really care for each other. The special effects are fantastic and the film score by Alan Silvestri is just the right amount of playful and adventurous. Samantha Mathis, a crush of mine since I was 11. Is great as the princess. She's definitely tough but a tad vulnerable. As I said, the storyline could have used a little more focus and direction, but according to the behind the scenes stories I have read, that was hardly the writers fault, but the fault of 2 directors who let the big budget get ahead of them and sabotage an already iffy production. This movie is frequently cited as the poster child for why video game movies don't work. But let's be honest here, there have been MUCH worst video game films. *cough* Uwe Boll *cough*. Lately I have seen a small cult following that this movie has amassed. And while I don't think it will have the kind of following that "Rocky Horror" or the like has, I still think people needs to look past the jumbled narrative and just have fun with an old fashioned "Save the princess" type of movie. It's really worth a second glance.
PowerGlove79
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby AngeloThomas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:37 am

Underrated!

In 1993, Hollywood Pictures released the much-anticipated Super Mario Bros. film, based on the SNES video game of the same name. The movie stars Bob Hoskins (Who Framed Roger Rabbit) as Mario and John Leguizamo (Regarding Henry) as Luigi.

We start off with a poorly-animated sequence depicting dinosaurs in Brooklyn before a meteorite hit. After the meteorite hit, it spilt our world into two dimensions. In our dimension, we evolved from apes. In the second dimension, humans evolved from dinosaurs.

We are told that a princess from the other dimension was brought in an egg to our dimension by her mother. That's a little weird. The princess is named Daisy, and she's raised in a Brooklyn church by some nuns.

She becomes an archaeologist, and she has a rock that she keeps around her neck that belonged to her mother. She's digging up dinosaur bones at a cave in Brooklyn, and a company called Scapelli comes and sabatoges the site basically, after she refused to leave the site.

Mario and Luigi meet her, and she goes out to dinner with Luigi, Mario, and Mario's fiance. She shows Luigi where she works (the cave) and they discover that Scapelli has flooded the place with water. Luckily, Mario and Luigi are plumbers so they come to the rescue.

Some idiot scouts for King Koopa, Spike and Iggy, kidnap Daisy and take her to the other dimension using a portal that is conviently in the cave where she works. Mario and Luigi go after them and end up in Dinohattan, or is it Dinotopia? I can't remember.

Koopa, who's just a man with spikey hair and not a dinosaur at all, rules this fungitated New York City place and he has henchmen called Goombas. They don't look very much like the Goombas in the videogame, though. They're more like lizard men with small heads. Anyway, it turns out that the rock that Daisy had around her neck was actually a piece of the meteorite. Why does Koopa want it? To take over both dimensions. Of course.

The meteorite piece is in the hands of Mario and Luigi and Koopa offers a 5,000 Koopa Coin reward for them. A crazy old lady who wants the reward starts to beat them with her umberella, but Big Bertha comes to the rescue. Remember the Pine-Sol lady? "That's the power of Pine-Sol, baby." Yep, that's her! But here, she's just a fat woman dressed in red leather. She's also got these cool boots that make her jump. Well, she throws down the old lady and takes the meteorite for herself. She comes back later in the movie.

Mario and Luigi get arrested and put in jail with a drunk musician. Believe it or not, this is Toad. Yeah, I know. They escape in a police car, and drive into the desert.

Daisy is locked in Koopa's tower, and we actually see her wearing something reminiscent of Princess Peach (who's not present in the movie). She meets Yoshi, a small dinosaur chained up by Koopa. He doesn't look too much like himself either, but what can you expect from a live-action 90's movie?

Toad gets turned into a Goomba, and Mario and Luigi head back to Dinohattan to save the day. There are a bunch of weird scenes throughout this part, like dancing in the elevator, and some strange shots of Big Bertha's chest. They get the meteorite back from Big Bertha at some kind of nightclub in Dinohattan, and plan to save Daisy. Bertha gives them pairs of rocket boots, which explains how they can jump so high in the video game, and we finally see them wearing their traditional green and red outfits. The only thing that is similar to the video game in this part, are the bomb-ombs.

There's a fifteen minute action scene, that's really pretty dissapointing for an ending, where they go back and forth from New York to Dinohattan. They eventually use de-evolution guns to turn Koopa into a dinosaur, and then to nasty gooey stuff. They save the princess, Dinohattan is restored (no more fungus, woo-hoo!) and Daisy's father is restored.
"Never give up. No one knows what's going to happen next." - L. Frank Baum
AngeloThomas
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Sailortwilight » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Nostalgic Classic <3 Love this Movie

This remains one of my favorite movies and I am sad that it never gets appreciated in a way that it should. I was so excited to see when it was finally available to DVD and then immediately disappointed that there were NO special features on this film. It's a special effects classic and not even a small feature on the making of? Or at least storyboards or pictures of production??? At the very least maybe a character profile or something... It would really help sell this DVD I think if it at least had some special features on it. Still, ultimately I do love this movie and I hope it will one day get the cult classic revision that many other movies have seen in the recent years. :)
Sailortwilight
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby shay42 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:38 am

Trust The Fungus

I think this film is seriously underrated. It's definitely got its flaws but in watching this you're guaranteed to be watching something unique.

It was the first of the Hollywood video game adaptation films and I think, the best.

The best of the obscure and quirky blockbuster attempts of the 1990s!
Fungus Trust Fund
shay42
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby droidguy1119 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:30 am

"Trust the fungus, Mario."

While I can't argue that Super Mario Bros. is "misunderstood," the way one Amazon user does, It's better than its reputation. Although it may be -- sorry, is -- a terrible adaptation of the video game, it's a fascinating train wreck of the license, the directors' vision, and filmmaking by committee.

A few thoughts about the movie:
- People like to call movies like this "incoherent" or "convoluted," and there are stories of last-minute rewrites that Hoskins and Leguizamo would become so frustrated with, they eventually started ignoring them. However, the movie's meteorite plot is actually pretty straightforward, and there aren't any useless, dead-weight scenes where the characters are all distracted by some other goal. Even if detours with "Big Bertha at the Boom Boom Bar" and some of the characters' paths to the finale could've been smoothed out by a better script, the movie makes sense and doesn't drag.

- The film's bizarre Blade Runner-meets-Jurassic Park production and costume design is overlooked. Spark-spraying vehicles with motors on the outside and bulldozer-style shovels on the front! Huge propaganda-like billboards for Koopa loom over the city! There's even some thought in the pointy walls of Koopa's tower, which evoke the castles from the game, plus more direct references like Bullet Bill, the Bob-Omb, and Yoshi (an impressive animatronic creation). There's not much internal logic (no idea why it'd be efficient for cars to be powered by cables and have no internal braking system), but it's memorable.

- The cast is actually phenomenal. Super Mario Bros. may not take advantage of it, but the idea of Bob Hoskins of The Long Good Friday facing off against Blue Velvet's Dennis Hopper is great all by itself, and John Leguizamo, Samantha Mathis, Fisher Stevens, Richard Edson, and Fiona Shaw are no slouches either. The performances are limited by the needs of the script, but for an action film / a kid's film / a stupid film / a troubled film, all of their work is decent.

Really, the worst thing about Super Mario Bros. is that it's a terrible adaptation of the video game, but that's more like "a fascinating lack of resemblance to the video game." Hollywood's history is littered with astonishingly bad ideas that died in development, and yet Super Mario Bros., in all its bizarre glory, was actually produced and released into over a thousand movie theaters, a fact that is never more apparent than the prologue by Dan Castellaneta, which describes the entire dino-universe concept using bad CD-ROM-game cartoon graphics, before ending with "and hey...what if they found a way back?", which is a finish I'd like to believe was lifted directly from the pitch meeting with Hollywood Pictures executives.

When Buena Vista released the DVD of the film way back in 2003, I was just relieved it was in widescreen. These days, the non-anamorphic, completely bare-bones disc could really use an upgrade. Although it seems unlikely that Disney (or whoever it is that controls the film now, in case it was sold off with the Miramax and Dimension libraries) would ever grant the movie a special edition, the Super Mario Bros Archive website has compiled a pretty impressive amount of material on the making of this bizarre creation. Should the film be released on Blu-Ray, I hope whoever releases it considers asking for the folks at SMBA to participate; I'd love the opportunity to see some deleted scenes or even interviews on the making of this, one of the most bizarre movies of all time.

Super Mario Bros. may not be a traditionally "good" movie, but it has a special place in my heart. In terms of doing justice to the source material, I understand why people call it the worst video game movie of all time, but it's more than watchable, and it's just fun to marvel at the fact the movie even exists. Not to mention, Street Fighter is way, way worse.
droidguy1119
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Redstar » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:13 am

We've had some great reviews submitted so far and they've made a world of difference! As of this moment, we only need 10 more 5-star reviews to reach 100 5-star reviews and 1 more 4-star review to reach 50 4-star reviews!

C'mon, you guys... We can do this! Every last review helps. I should know, since I've watched the score go up with each and every one of your new reviews. :P
Redstar

Postby godslabrat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:15 pm

An overlooked gem

I can understand why someone wouldn't like this movie, especially a die-hard nintendo fan. I'm a lifelong Mario fan, I know what it would be like to make a movie and have it be faithful to the game-- but this ain't it!! On the other hand what Super Mario Bros is is a neat sci-fi twist on the familiar video game. The idea that the Mushroom Kingdom is a world evolved from Dinosaurs is kind of like "Planet of the Apes", with a lizard motif. Dennis Hopper, who probably didn't want to be remembered for this particular film, was a fantastic villain, and he really put a lot into his performance.

If you can, try to shed the 20 years of trash-talk that has surrounded this movie and watch with an open mind. You won't find Citizen Kane, but you just might enjoy yourself for 90 minutes.
godslabrat
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby ibelieve » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:47 am

Very Underated

This film always gets plaque because of the simple fact that it's story isn't exact to the game itself. Think of it in this perspective, if a film was only about a guy who jumps on turtles and goes down pipes, the film wouldn't be very interesting now would it? This movie goes beyond that and creates a realism within the story and characters to show a much more clever and diverse story. Looking at this film, it's actually rather brilliant how the realistically incorperated the characters.

You either love this movie, or hate it. And I feel that people cease to look at this film in the correct perspective. In my opinion, this is the best video game adaptation out there besides Mortal Kombat. If you havent seen this film, I advise you to give it a try and to keep an open mind, you will enjoy it much more. Give it a shot, it deserves it.
ibelieve
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby superwesleybros » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Super Mario Bros. The movie that defined my childhood

Well, growing up in a world with Super Mario, I soon became curious to know if there was a Mario movie. And to my delight there was! 1993, Bob Hoskins, John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper brought life into the silver screen as Mario, Luigi and King Koopa. While it's not a perfect film, it is not a bad one. It gets a lot of flack for being a bad adaptation to the gaming franchise of the same name. Despite it's flaws it's a very fun movie. The acting is top notch and great. Hoskins and Leguizamo make great Mario Bros. and Hopper makes A *Human* Bowser/Koopa hilarious and sinister.

This movie demands a re-release and needs additions added to this bare-bones DVD.

Special Features....
Audio Commentaries....
Deleted Scenes....
Character/Acter Bios....
Behind the scenes....
Interviews GALORE...

I have spoken.
Luigi...mess this up, and I'll be an only child.
Must you always be this hostile on a job?
Yes!
superwesleybros
Fried Tweeter--Only 20 Koopons

Postby CalvinValjean » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:27 am

I wrote this review for IMDb back in March of 2007. Here it is for your reading pleasure:

A Much Better Movie Than Its Given Credit

I continue to marvel at the awful reviews Super Mario Bros (1993) STILL gets nearly 15 years after the fact. People who call this the "Worst Video Game Based Movie Ever" need to really get a life.

Let's get one thing straight: no, it's not all that faithful to the original game. Toad, the little guy with the mushroom hat, is turned into a weird parody of Bob Dylan, and Koopa, instead of an evil dinosaur-looking monster, is turned into an evil corporate head.

But once you get past these things, and just accept this as a stand alone movie, you actually have a pretty creative sci-fi adventure story. Two separate dimensions, formed when a meteorite hit, and a portal between them can only be formed when a tiny bit of the meteor is restored...dude, that's pretty cool stuff.

Bob Hoskins is great as Mario, and he's likable in just about every film he's ever done. Some say Dennis Hopper just took this for the paycheck, but that's silly; if you liked his Frank Booth character in Blue Velvet, then you'll agree he's playing virtually the same character here. Yes, he's a little over the top...he's been over the top in everything he's ever done! The visual effects are pretty good for 1993...keep in mind this was released just a month before Jurassic Park. The Goombas are a pretty great visual creation. And there're a few good lines of dialog, mostly provided by Iggy and Spike. Overall, this wasn't a cheap little movie; you can tell that time and effort went into it.

So it's one thing to not like this movie, but to say it's one of the worst ever made is just absurd. Mostly just an attempt to laugh off the Nintendo craze of the early '90's. Check out The Super Mario Bros. Super Show; now THAT was an awful show.
CalvinValjean
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Amethyst Dreams » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:31 am

Cuddly Dinosaurs & Industrial Flame Guns

Super Mario Bros. is just a fun movie if you can enjoy it for what it has to offer. It's not the most faithful adaptation of the games, but it still stands well on its own. That's what's important.

However, there's still the promise of a far more enjoyable film just under the surface. Due to various deleted scenes and dropped subplots you're only left with a badly paced shell of what could have been. An updated re-release that re-incorporates some of those removed scenes while trimming/removing others could do wonders for its presentation and arguably make it some money as well.
Amethyst Dreams
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Marla » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:38 am

A Film Worth Revisiting

This movie just has something for everyone. Whether you're 5-years-old and experiencing it for the first time or 21 and re-living it as an adult; male and enthralled with the spralling dinosaur city and crazy action or female and crushing on Luigi or envying Lena's sexy dresses, it really is a film that can hold anyone's interest.

The acting from everyone is enjoyable while the dialogue often witty. You grow to love the characters and want to see more of them by the time the credits roll, though unfortunately a sequel was never made.

Nonetheless, it's a film that still captivates enough to demand another viewing at least every few years. Each time is like a new experience as you pick up on another joke or find another subtle reference to the source material. Even the special effects hold up after nearly 20 years, just as its counterpart Jurassic Park has managed.

The only thing that can make that experience better is an updated re-release. For such a good film you'd think there would be at least a handful of special features or the theatrical trailer at least, but you're left with a 2003 bare-bones DVD that isn't even anamorphic. With both Nintendo and Disney behind the picture I'd expect any re-release to be picked up in droves from diehard gamers, reminiscing kids-turned-parents and even the curious critic or two.
Marla
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby seanmulry » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:39 am

Great fun movie!

As someone who viewed this movie as a kid (in theaters and on VHS) and as a fan of the video game series, I think this is a great and fun movie.

The cast is cool and funny. The visual effects and set design are impressive for the time this movie was made. And the action and humour is very enjoyable.

Many people have said this movie is horrible. I can somewhat agree that this movie is anything but perfect however I am able to understand what the filmakers were trying to accomplish with this film. After all this was the first time a movie was made based on a videogame. Also the game itself didn't have too much of a thick story so the filmakers did the best they could with what Mario material was made available at the time.

All in all I watch this movie every now and then for nostalgia and for a good time (especially the former). And I highly recomend this to anyone curious about it!
seanmulry
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Torrey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Nonstop Fun, A '90s Classic

Growing up in the '90s you experience a lot of movies that stick in your memory with you as you get older. In revisiting these old movies you'll find that not every one is as good as you remember.

Super Mario Bros. is by no means perfect, but it's certainly not as cheesy as other kids' movies that came out at the time. It definitely has its charm and holds up now, especially when watched with a couple friends or your own kids.

The only disappointment is that the DVD release is dated and barebones. Considering both how often '90s films get great re-releases and how popular the Mario character is you'd think there'd be something better. Hopefully there will be soon.
Torrey
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Payne » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:08 am

Fun for the Kids & Family

My grandson loved watching this movie as a kid and has recently revisited it. It really holds up. It's great that such an old movie continues to be enjoyed even now, especially by my great-grandchildren.

This is a movie to watch with your kids. No matter their age, they should just love the adventure of Mario and Luigi. The princess is cute and Koopa is plainly bad, though his girlfriend Lena is much meaner. I find even myself liking everything that happens.

The only fault is that the DVD is poor quality. It's always fun to see special features on how the movie is made, but aside from that the picture quality just isn't as good as it should be. I hope they fix this soon.
Payne
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Serum » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:32 am

Good job, everyone! Keep up the good work!

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby NeedaPrissy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Imaginatively Clever & Adventurous

I liked the detail of the sets and the actors, how there were so many different characters. From the vendors to the passersby to the subway and transportation. Although it was a real world it wasn't a generic background; it had a lot of thought behind it.

The "Bronx voice" of the narration at the beginning wasn't good. It made me feel lost. I liked what was said, but I think they could have began it better.

I liked the animatronics for the Goombas. Those were my favorite characters. They were childlike, I think. I thought Yoshi was very realistic, even though though he was a caricature of a real T. rex.

I really enjoyed the talents of the people who created the side effects and stuff like that, especially at the time like that. I think that was pretty cool.

Like, okay. This is what bothers me: I don't like Mario and Luigi's New York thing. I really wish it was more of an Italian thing. Instead of "Bronx edgy" it could have been a little more culturally authentic.

I was more into the storyline and the world as opposed to the acting. The villainess (Fiona Shaw as Lena) was really good. I liked her.

I would have liked sequels. I would have liked if Luigi had stayed with Daisy for awhile instead of leaving without her, but at the end it seemed like she was going back. I would have liked more adventures after the fact. Yoshi didn't really serve a purpose and was just a cameo, so in the next adventures I would have liked Yoshi to be a companion to Daisy and watch over her.

Overall, it's a good film. I think a lot more could have been done with it, but in the end it worked out and became something fun. Hopefully it's re-released soon and we can see more of the director's original vision.
NeedaPrissy
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Carl » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Give it a chance.

This movie gets a lot of flack, but I genuinely enjoyed as a fun adventure that is easy to follow and is chock full of lovable and memorable characters.
Carl
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby jupluna » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:43 am

Not your typical plumber.

This is not the movie for those of you too busy remembering the good old days of NES with Mario as the hero. This is a take on Luigi and Daisy's story. Those that think this is all about the princess in pink, you are quite mistaken. This movie takes some of the classic game info (Yoshi, babombs, fungi, and two plumber brothers), and gives it a touch of realism.

Imagine somthing happens and instead of the Dinosaurs dying off, a split in reality occurs. One universe humans evolve from apes, in the other they evolve from Dinos. Koopa is attempting to re-merge the two worlds together and de-evolve the ape-humans in order to rule.

The movie is alternative universe, and you aren't going to find the main hero wearing red overalls. If you can see Luigi as the hero, instead of just the scared or clumsy sidekick and see Daisy in her element, the tomboy that gives a more independent definition to the word princess, you will definitely enjoy this movie.

The movie could definitely use a re-release to get it out there to new fans so that more people can appreciate this film.
jupluna
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby moviemaker29 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 am

Okay, so after I FINALLY got a chance to sit down and put together a review, I just posted it over on Amazon. I tried to give the site a plug at the end of the review but it didn't put the URL...oh well. If people look up behind the scenes stuff on the film, I'm sure they'll end up here. And of course I also gave it a 10-star rating on IMDB.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SSXZ2MZDNWHJ

For your reading pleasure:

A film that isn't afraid to be FUN: The Genius of Super Mario Bros.

Over the last few years, Super Mario Bros. has evolved into a more well-received film as it has reached a cult classic status in the eyes of nostalgic moviegoers that grew up in the late 80s and early 90s. As present-day moviegoers are drowned in over-the-top, often times cheap-looking computer generated graphics in just about every film nowadays, it has become refreshing to look back at films from the 80s and 90s where higher budgets allowed large scale practical effects & set pieces to push the technological envelope. It was a time where a dab of CGI could complement or enhance the film's special effects rather than completely replace them. Films like Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, and yes, even Super Mario Bros. found that perfect balance between practical effects & CGI and paved the way for so many "unfilmable" stories to be made into films today.

Although there is no denying the fact that the atmosphere of the film is a departure from the original source material, the film still successfully captures the spirit of the video game, but with a more adult-oriented twist. While the film doesn't have any of those colorfully polished, fantastical landscapes that the video game is known for, what it does offer is the same adventurous, playful spirit of the game. If you watch the film closely, you'll see that even through the dystopian, Blade Runner-esque art direction and set design, there are a multitude of references to the video games proving that for every gritty aspect of the film that seems like it doesn't fit in with the game, there are many other aspects that are taken straight from the game. References to the Bullet Bills, Bob-Ombs, Hammer Bros., Thwomps, etc. are cleverly scattered throughout the film and any fan of the game will have a blast going on a scavenger hunt to find them as they watch the film.

Looking past the visual aspects of the film that do not seem to fit in even though the ties to the game are countless, the true spirit of the game is found in the enthusiastic, playful performances of Bob Hoskins, John Leguizamo, Dennis Hopper, and the rest of the cast. Sure, much of the dialogue is campy and over-the-top, but what works so well is how much fun the actors are having in the roles. And that is where this film exudes the true spirit of the games. It is a FUN adventure film just as the games were meant to be a fun journey through each level.

Is it a great piece of cinema history? No, of course not. This was never meant to be an Oscar worthy film, it was simply meant to be fun, escapist, summer entertainment for kids and adults alike that gave them a break from the real world for 2 hours. It's a fine example of films from the early 90s that were just designed to be fun films to take your imagination on a great ride.

So instead of feeling like you're taking a chance with this film, just sit down with a bowl of popcorn, a few friends, and an open mind and simply enjoy a film like Super Mario Bros. that isn't afraid to be a little silly and unrealistic, like so many films of today are. And just in case you need that dose of cynicism that most of today's films have, this one even has a little bit of that too.

To read more about the filmmaking roller-coaster ride Super Mario Bros. went through, be sure to check out [...] for a behind the scenes look at the costumes, props, and sets, as well as what the filmmakers and cast think of the film today!
moviemaker29
They say it's "dog"

Postby Phlibbit » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:14 am

Great work, everyone. We have so far had over 30 reviews submitted to Amazon, which rose the total number from just under 200 to the current 231. There are now 102 5-star reviews and 52 4-star reviews compared to only 31 1-star reviews.

The film's rating has risen from 3.7 to 3.8, which may not seem like much but is a definite indication that we're making a difference. We just need to keep pushing until we reach a full 4 stars and beyond!

The following is my own review:

If you've heard this movie is terrible...watch it and see for yourself

The Super Mario Bros. film is always one that I felt deserved a second look at. A TON of work went into every aspect of the film from the casting, production design, costuming, makeup effects, score, editing, and special effects. Not only that, but it was the first attempt at creating a feature-length motion picture from video game source material. The effort is extremely commendable, even though the execution was somewhat flawed--and I believe that's more to blame for the film's (often exaggerated) unpopularity and initial low exposure than to the "unfaithfulness" to the video games.

Upon its initial release in 1993, moviegoers just didn't know what the film was trying to be or what it was trying to do. It's taken nearly two decades for the film to reach this new cult status wherein those who first saw the film as children are analyzing it as adults, and others are seeing it for the first time with an unbiased eye in regards to the environment surrounding the release of the film and its subsequent perception.

With all this new-found popularity (and not to mention that it's the 25th Anniversary of Super Mario Bros. on the original Nintendo Entertainment System), the Super Mario Bros. film is getting a bit of extra attention. Sadly, Disney is missing out on a prime opportunity to put out a proper release of the film.

As it stands, the original 2003 DVD release was a simple, bare-bones effort, with a substandard non-anamorphic transfer. Earlier this year, they put out a slight re-release--but all they did was move around some text on the DVD cover art. Oh, and that non-widescreen enhanced, non-anamorphic transfer? It's still there. It's the same, tired release with a different cover.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby DrunkKnurd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:33 pm

It's Clean And It's Dirty At The Same Time

Super Mario Bros. The Movie, or SMB:TM as I affectionately refer to it, is one of the first movies I ever saw in theaters as a child, so I will always see the movie through these rose tinted nostalgia goggles. As I've gotten older and more discerning when it comes to films, my opinion of it hasn't changed and I continue to watch it at least once a year. It will always be one of my favorite movies. It's almost unreal how much I enjoy watching SMB:TM.

With that being said, I pride myself on my ability to put personal inclination aside and be completely neutral and non-bias when watching and reviewing anything.

So without further ado, let me tell you about the greatest motherplumbing movie in the universe.

Maybe I'm exaggerating.

Let's start with the opening, a crudely drawn cartoon that explains the backstory. This is my biggest gripe with this entire movie and it is without question its lowest point, which is unfortunately because it's the first thing you see. It's like the kid in class who spent all night writing a Grade-A book report, only to hastily draw a cover page in pen on loose leaf paper five minutes before he hands it in. Bad first impressions are hard to recover from and I wonder if I had seen this scene back in 1993 (I missed it because I was late), would I have such high esteem for this film.

In SMB:TM's defense, this opening was a post-production addition to spell out the plot to the audience, since test audiences were getting confused about the plot. The split dimension and evolution of dinosaurs in the parallel world are all explained in the meat of the film, and even at eleven years-old I was able to understand the story even without this bit of forced exposition. It's odd that Star Wars was allowed to get away with opening on a scrolling wall of text for six films without criticism, but I guess it helps being accompanied by John Williams's music.

By the way, score written by the phenomenal Alan Silvestri. Classic stuff.

The plot of SMB:TM is a common target for negative reviewers. The bulk of the complaints are about how different the movie is from the plot of the video game. And we all hate movies that veer drastically from the source material, right? It's not like the screenwriters had a lot to go on, as the plot of the game was pretty minimal. (SPOILER ALERT for those who haven't finished Super Mario Bros. yet...) You walk to the right, beat King Koopa, and save the Princess. That was it. Doesn't make for a great movie on it's own.

SMB:TM gives us more. It establishes the relationship between the Mario Bros., Princess Daisy, and King Koopa. It takes us from the humble beginnings as noble plumbers in Brooklyn to the regicidal badasses they become in the Mushroom Kingdom. Koopa's mission to conquer our world after his cruelty and maniacal hubris has destroyed his own is a great evil scheme for the Brothers to thwart. The meteor creating a mirror dimension where dinosaurs thrived and evolved into Dino sapiens is an exquisite sci-fi angle to attack this from. King Koopa as a human works well, because you don't want to see a fire-breathing cartoon turtle in a movie. Another reason I like the Dino sapiens angle is that a city of reptiles made with practical effects would break this movie rather quickly. It'd be like watching an episode of Dinosaurs.

And the plumbing! They actually plumbed in this movie, I couldn't believe it. 20+ years of games, I never seem the Mario Bros. touch a wrench. It always bothered me.

The special effects in SMB:TM were hit and miss. Somehow, the Goombas managed to do both at once, which is impressive when you think about it. The tiny reptilian heads looked great and articulated well, but the fact that there was obviously the head of another person under there was just awkward and impossible to ignore. But their decision to go with practical effects paid off with Yoshi, who looked amazing. The Mushroom King and the rest of the fungus looked disgusting, which is exactly how it should looked. Gross is good. When I saw first saw the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie I was put off by the characters, especially Splinter, and how filthy they looked compared to the beautiful and squeaky clean cartoons, until I got into it and realized that this is how a movie version of them should look. Anything else would seem out of place.

The setting was perfect. Dinohattan, colloquially called the Mushroom Kingdom because of the sentient fungus strangling the city, was the antithesis of the world the Mario Brothers came from. Just the place to put them if you want them to prove themselves to be heroes despite the odds. The brightly colored Mushroom Kingdom of the games is another element that just wouldn't translate over to film correctly. How can anyone feel threatened in a world where even the clouds are smiling at you?

My only regret is that they only had a few miserable streets and an endless desert. I wish they'd created other cities/kingdoms for the Mario Bros. to visit, as I'd love to see the Blade Runner-esque 'Shroompunk versions of other game worlds.

The cast is amazing. Regardless what you may think about some of the writing, each of the four leads did a commendable job. Hoskins and Hopper are incredible, as it is literally impossible to get a bad performance out of either of them. You could say that Hopper oversells Koopa, but what villain doesn't oversell? Evil is hammy, that's just a way of life. Leguizamo and Mathis have this great awkward chemistry and their scenes together were adorkable.

It disappoints me to hear that the cast had such a bad experience filming this film, but it's obvious that they didn't just phone in their performances. They're professionals and showing up every day to a job, even a job you hate, and doing your best work is the mark of a true professional.

Look, I know SMB:TM is not perfect, but it's not the steaming pile that most people make it out to be. I could go into it's flaws, but tons of other reviewers would be happy to cover that. It's worth mentioning that even though it set the bar pretty low all video game film adaptations to follow, 18 years later few movies have cleared that bar. As it stands, the only good video game movies are the first Mortal Kombat, the Resident Evil movies, and the Metal Gear Solid series.

Shigeru Miyamoto mentioned in an interview that "If we were going to make a Mario Bros. movie, that movie should be entertaining as a movie, and not a translation of the videogame." I agree with Shiggy, a literal one-to-one conversion of your favorite game will never work on the big screen, and SMB:TM was definitely more than a simple translation of the game.

Maybe that's the problem with video game movies now. Maybe Super Mario Bros. stumbled on the right formula for a video game movie and we rejected it, so now we're stuck with Alone in the Dark and Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life and Max Payne. And we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Obviously, an adaptation should capture what we loved about the source material, it's essence, but it should create a real movie around it and build on that premise. For instance, The Dark Knight takes the essence of the Batman comics (orphaned lunatic beats up homicidal lunatics with the help of his trusty sidekick, Commissioner Gordon) and builds off that foundation to create something incredible.

To me, Super Mario Bros is a game about two brothers from Brooklyn who find themselves in the perilous and anomalous Mushroom Kingdom, defeat the evil king and save the Princess. It's essence is two ordinary plumbers becoming heroes in an extraordinary world. As the first video game movie, SMB:TM captured that and built something one-of-a-kind and unique, fun and truly memorable.

Just ignore that hastily drawn cover page.
DrunkKnurd
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby NeonWatson » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:55 pm

'60s Sci-Fi/Adventure Revisited

Pop culture of the '60s and '70s was defined by seminal films such as Star Wars and Planet of the Apes as well as classic Golden Age idealism cartoon shows like The Adventures of Jonny Quest. These works showed magic and strange alien creatures in worlds far removed from our own, yet the characters having these adventures felt more real and close than anything.

The late '80s and early '90s faced a resurgence of such zeal and creativity in films like Ghostbusters, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and, of course, Super Mario Bros. Once again we would experience real characters and strange creatures that would define a generation.

Super Mario Bros. takes a lot from '60s sci-fi. The de-evolved "dino-humans" are divided into a social caste system not unlike the apes of Planet of the Apes based on their own heritage as predator or herbivore. The more "evolved" you are defines your place in society.

Star Wars even gets a throwback through the "Boom Boom Bar," which features these dino-humans in a scene that brings to mind the Tatooine cantina bar. Seeing a range and variety of these weird creatures gives you the same wonder and fear that the original Star Wars scene did.

The film's set design is a huge call-back to the dark and dingy world first imagined in Blade Runner; a fitting connection since David L. Snyder worked on both. However, the introduction of dinosaurs and an alien culture re-imagines the concept of such a city in a wholly original way.

This is just a movie that deserves attention and admiration for what it did. It spun numerous generations of classic films into something new and special that would hold a place in the memories of any kid. And with the continual praise and re-releases garnered towards Star Wars and Planet of the Apes I see no better time for Super Mario Bros. to be given its own update.
NeonWatson
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Peculiar » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Classic Video Game, Classic Movie

Two plumber brothers (Mario and Luigi) chase down a princess (Daisy) into a parallel world inhabited by humanoid dinosaurs and try to rescue her from Koopa. This parallel world is all dirt, grime and neon lights in direct homage to Blade Runner.

Since it was made in the '90s Super Mario Bros. can be a bit goofy and at times lame, but there's also some really cool special effects and great dinosaur puppetry as well as really creative/sexy costume design.

Overall, this movie is just fun. It has something for everyone, so grab some friends and enjoy it on a late Saturday night!
Peculiar
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby salona4you » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:34 am

Omg I remember this....

I saw this movie as a kid and I thought it was awesome, I remember it always being on and now I never see it. Thats sad. I would love to show my boys a little taste of my childhood, they'd love the adventure super mario brothers brings! Man, I haven't seen this movie in ages and im so glad I came across this page and saw the movie. I love accidents, almost as much as I love me some super mario brothers. This movie is a hidden secret and I hope people come across this page like I did or they will miss out.
salona4you
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby tyme » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:36 pm

More than meets the eye

I think that SMB is a great movie...campy & fun! I have never seen or played the video game, so I saw the movie with no prejudice as a gamer. Besides, the game has no plot or character development, so how could you even compare it!

Full disclosure, I was a member of the film crew; but it wasn't always the most pleasant production (oy, the strife!), so any fondness because of my participation is negligable.

However, having had that behind-the-scenes view and knowing the technical scope of this film (not to mention the A-list crew involved) makes the movie quite impressive. I suggest that people take a peek at the production research*, then re-watch the movie with fresh eyes and without a prejudicial gamer attitude for fuller enjoyment of the film. Bonus: watch it with your kids!

* I don't believe that a full "the making of" documentary was ever produced, but some video doc clips do exist. You can find them (and lots of juicy tidbits) here: [...] ...If you want the scoop on the location selection and cement factory transformation, you can read "The Making of Super Mario Bros: It Ain't No Game!", here: [...] or on the SMB Movie Archive site.
tyme
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Clous » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:48 am

Misunderstood, but a quality film.

Ah the Mario Brothers. For most people, the simple name "Mario" is as recognizable as even the most famous celebrity. Sadly, this comes with many burdens. The main one being one of the most die hard fan bases in existence who will simply not stand for any deviation of their beloved mustached plumber.

I think it is fair to say that the majority of the people who watched this film are die hard Mario fans. The type that played the original in diapers, and get tattoos of peach on their arms. Surprisingly, I feel this is really the biggest downfall for this film.

This movie frankly alienates the majority of classic Mario fans. Why? It's pretty simple. The original mario games have no semblance of a story. You just play level by level and save the princess. The movie however, obviously can't do that and instead does a remarkably different, but brilliant plot instead. The quote from the film really described it best; "This Ain't No Game, It's a Live-Action Thrill Ride!"

When you watch the movie, you really don't feel like you are necessarily watching a Mario Bro's movie per say, but an action movie with Mario Bro's inspiration. Which really isn't a bad thing, it makes a much better movie just less fan service. The special effects are actually rather extraordinary for the time, and it's intriguing more adult based plot is a solid ride start to finish. Nothing revolutionary of course, but you are enthralled all the way, something any movie worth its salt should provide.

The second problem is actually the opposite. The majority of people have no idea they made a Mario movie. Really, ask the 5 closest people around you if they know about it. I highly doubt more than 1 knew, and I can guarantee they haven't watched it.

Overall, I feel it is a solid movie that deserves a lot more recognition and a chance at the very least. I honestly feel that the film would benefit greatly from a re-release with proper marketing that makes sure people know of it's existence.
Clous
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Redstar » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:59 am

Today the score went up from 3.8 to 3.9. This was made possible due to dozens of reviews being submitted over the last few months. Only some of those reviews are being re-posted here, so it may not have seemed like this push was still active, but it was.

This only goes to show that we are making a difference. It's taking time and effort, but with enough support we can certainly push the score up to at least 4/5. If you have yet to submit a review or know someone with an account that hasn't than please take the opportunity to contribute now. We're on the precipice of great things. Make this happen.
Redstar

Postby Serum » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 am

Good job, everyone! Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Zabala » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:39 am

Quirky, Fun and Definitely A Classic

So few films these days live-up to the pure imagination and fun that could be felt in those made in the '80s or '90s. Making movies now just has a different sensibility, whereas before you could fund almost anything and end up with something worth watching time and again.

Super Mario Bros. is a quirky and fun adventure that has endured as a classic of sorts for anyone who grew up loving that period of movies. Everything in it is just real and heartfelt and that's what makes it enjoyable despite its flaws.

It's been said before, but it needs to be said again: this movie desperately needs and deserves a re-release. There's a definite interest in seeing Mario and Luigi come alive on-screen again, so why not take the time to rework what's already there? Put this on Blu-Ray with deleted scenes and show more of that original fun.
Zabala
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Next

Return to Super Mario Bros.