Adventures in Dinosaur City

Discuss the movie and related media here

Adventures in Dinosaur City

Postby Redstar » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:49 am

Does anyone remember this movie? It was released in 1991, just a year or so before the dinosaur-themed scripts for Super Mario Bros. were starting to be written.

According to Wikipedia, the plot is as follows:

The story involves a trio of teenagers, named Timmy, Jamie and Mick, who enjoy watching their favorite TV show which features anthropomorphic dinosaurs. Wanting to watch it on a better screen, Timmy, the youngest of the three, suggests that they try watching it on his father's screen in his laboratory. The moment they turn it on, a vortex sucks the three into the TV screen, and into their favorite show. Upon entering the new world, the trio comes across a flightless Dimorphodon named Forry. Although reluctant at first to help them, his knowledge of Dinosaur City proves useful, as he guides the three to Tar Town, where they join up with Rex and Tops, two dinosaur freedom fighters willing to ignite a revolution against the villain, Mr. Big, and his caveman henchmen, "The Rockies".

From memory, it's almost sort of a cross between TRON and Super Mario Bros. The Movie in that the adventure takes place in a vaguely cyber-punk dinosaur world that exists within a digital universe.

I haven't seen it in some time, but the concept sounds fun while the costume designs appear to be at least on par with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle films. Might be worth a revisit as well.
Redstar
Finally seen the Dark Knight trilogy

Re: Adventures in Dinosaur City

Postby billbot85 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:25 pm

this movie was FREAKIN' AWESOME. I remember this being shown on the Disney Channel I think. But yeah, very similar premise to Super Mario Bros where it was an alternate world where Dinosaurs ruled, only they werent evolved humans, but a whole lot of people in costumes and muppets! So glad you brought this up :D
"Sir...the goombas are dancing again."
billbot85
Fried Tweeter--Only 20 Koopons

Postby moviebuffmel90 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 am

I actually have a copy of this and a version that was released in Greece with Greek subtitles and extra footage not even in the American cut. The other thing too is that the movie was called Dino City, where else here its Adventures in Dinosaur City...weird isn't it?
moviebuffmel90
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Redstar » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:19 am

moviebuffmel90 wrote:I actually have a copy of this and a version that was released in Greece with Greek subtitles and extra footage not even in the American cut. The other thing too is that the movie was called Dino City, where else here its Adventures in Dinosaur City...weird isn't it?

I had read via IMDb that some versions of the VHS has extra footage, though it was somewhat vague. Could you elaborate on just what is different/new in that cut?
Redstar
Finally seen the Dark Knight trilogy

Postby moviebuffmel90 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:27 am

As mentioned the original title was called "Dino City" in the Greek version and the added character name titles in the animated segment are only in the US version. And if I recall, I think the animated segment the kids watch is a tad longer but I will have to view and compare again.

There is an extra bit where Timmy talkes with Jamie and Mick before they go into the labratory. An entire scene where Mr. Big talks to one of his henchmen about how good a job he did, gives him a cigar and drops him into a fire pit. And then an extended bit with the Rockies entering the bar as well as some dialouge that was too risque during the scene where Jamie seduces two prison guards before knocking them out.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, but I will have to look again. I'm 100% sure that was the extra material.
moviebuffmel90
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Serum » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 pm

This looks like that old TV show "Dinosaurs" (I think that's what it was called.) which was basically just the Flintstones with an all dinosaur cast...
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Prime Evil » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Serum wrote:This looks like that old TV show "Dinosaurs" (I think that's what it was called.) which was basically just the Flintstones with an all dinosaur cast...

Reminds me of Theodore Rex, a movie that Whoopi Goldberg legendarily did for the money.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Return to Super Mario Bros.