A Very Special Demo by Mojo Nixon (Toad!)

Discuss the movie and related media here

A Very Special Demo by Mojo Nixon (Toad!)

Postby Mama Luigi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:56 am

Hello everyone! I have found something VERY SPECIAL that I have NOT SEEN on this website!

Now, I have always thought "Boy! The Soundtrack to this film Sure is the greatest movie soundtrack ever made!!" Turns out that Mojo Nixon was supposed to appear on it! Don't believe me? GET A LOAD OF THIS!!

This was posted on the official Mojo Nixon Facebook Page - The Mojo Nixon World Empire

http://www.facebook.com/mojonixonworldempire

Pretty cool, eh?
Mama Luigi
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Re: A Very Special Demo by Mojo Nixon (Toad!)

Postby Serum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:23 am

Wow, cool. Did he record this during the making of the movie or years after it wrapped?
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Roareye » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:47 am

Excellent find! This song was definitely made for the movie itself, as the chorus was used for when we first meet Toad (And subsequently they get arrested) and I assume due to the massive cuts taking place during that sequence that this entire song was supposed to be played before the arrest.

Some of this can be seen just by watching Bob Hoskins, who starts off a little peeved that Toad is singing to them and a split second later is not only sitting down but slapping his knee and enjoying it. Either Hoskins decided to ruin the continuity of the shot (Because as an actor he'd remember if he's supposed to be miffed or happy easily enough) or there was more of that sequence filmed that was edited out. I'd suggest moreso on the latter, because as much as he hates the film Bob Hoskins is still a professional.
Roareye
They say it's "dog"

Postby Prime Evil » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:27 pm

I think Mojo Nixon did a pretty good job at a mickey-take of Tom Petty on that song. It sounds very much like a Heartbreakers song that was left on the cutting room floor.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Redstar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:01 pm

This is an amazingly cool find, Mama Luigi. It's not often that we come across anything like this. It's a step beyond a fan work as it was made by a person actually in the film. We'll definitely have to feature this on the site soon! :D
Redstar
Finally seen the Dark Knight trilogy

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:06 am

Whoa! When did he do that?
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Redstar » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:07 am

Looks like he put it up a couple days ago, though the comments seem to imply that it was written during filming. Not entirely sure myself.
Redstar

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:08 am

Holy SHIT this is awesome! It's like a cut scene. He even mentions King Bowser!

Kind of funny how both he and Edson wrote songs.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby billbot85 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:47 pm

this is wonderful. I just retweeted it from SMB Archive's twitter and shared it on facebook. I wonder if Mojo recently recorded this whole song or was it recorded back during filming?
"Sir...the goombas are dancing again."
billbot85
Fried Tweeter--Only 20 Koopons

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:56 pm

I wish they would release the full scene on BR or DVD someday, see how much dancing Mario did lol.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby Serum » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:32 pm

jka12002 wrote:I wish they would release the full scene on BR or DVD someday, see how much dancing Mario did lol.

I'm not sure the full song was used in the movie, I think, from the sounds of it, it was a demo that was probably going to be rerecorded and put in the end credits after "Almost Unreal" finished playing.
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:11 am

billbot85 wrote:this is wonderful. I just retweeted it from SMB Archive's twitter and shared it on facebook. I wonder if Mojo recently recorded this whole song or was it recorded back during filming?

Thanks! Hopefully this song gets some good exposure. Mojo certainly deserves that!

jka12002 wrote:I wish they would release the full scene on BR or DVD someday, see how much dancing Mario did lol.

I believe Mario dancing was more likely from an alternate take that was cut into the final version rather than evidence of an extended scene, though we could be entirely mistaken. I certainly wouldn't turn down more time with Toad!
Redstar

Postby AndrewTheBeatnik » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:44 pm

I viewed this video on YouTube and posted the lyrics in the comments. Soon after posting I realized that Mojo Nixon (Toad) was singing 'stupor' and not 'stup-a'. So besides that little fluke, the lyrics should be mostly accurate. If I screwed up on any of the lyrics please do correct me! I love this song! It's funny but also sounds really good! Gooooo Mojo!
Last edited by AndrewTheBeatnik on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewTheBeatnik
They say it's "dog"

Postby PowerGlove79 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 am

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! Thanks for posting this
PowerGlove79
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:17 am

Redstar wrote:

I believe Mario dancing was more likely from an alternate take that was cut into the final version rather than evidence of an extended scene, though we could be entirely mistaken. I certainly wouldn't turn down more time with Toad!

You know, after watching the movie last night on DVD that may not be the case at all, because i noticed Mario cracks a smile and makes a "cool song" face gesture right before he is shown grooving to the song.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby ultimateemail5000 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:07 pm

i love this, mojo is such a good musician nd i enjoy his work.
ultimateemail5000
No Leak Too Small

Postby ToolMan93 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:45 am

billbot85 wrote:this is wonderful. I just retweeted it from SMB Archive's twitter and shared it on facebook. I wonder if Mojo recently recorded this whole song or was it recorded back during filming?

The SMB Archive is on twitter? :S when did this happen!?
ToolMan93
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Return to Super Mario Bros.