Game References/Homages

Discuss the movie and related media here

Re: Official SMB Game References in the SMB Film Thread

Postby oldskoolplayer86 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:56 pm

A few more. I should have written these down because I forgot to post these before.

- Even though its called a Mushroom Kingdom, "Dinohattan", as its referred to in other sources, is based off Super Mario World (Dinosaur World) with the reptilian society.

- The scene where Toad (as a Goomba) gives Luigi and Daisy the Devo guns, could this be a reference to Mario Bros. 3 where Toad aids the player with items in the mushroom houses?
I read that sea turtles navigate a thousand miles on instinct. Not in New York traffic they don't.
oldskoolplayer86
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Redstar » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:00 pm

oldskoolplayer86 wrote:- I read that the flamethrowers act like the fire flower, but on Fryguy's page on Mariopedia, it reads this: In the Super Mario Bros. movie, the flamethrowers used by King Koopa and his minions are referred to as "Fryguy Flamethrowers".

I haven't seen/heard anything of them being referred to as Fryguy Flamethrowers, anyone know?

As posted by Zack on the first page, the flamethrowers are indicated to be "Fry Guy" Flamethrowers in a background shot, as seen here:

Redstar
Finally seen the Dark Knight trilogy

Postby oldskoolplayer86 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:08 pm

Ah thanks, I see it now. I never bothered to read the rest of the sign cause of the smaller font. Seeing Fryguy was good enough for me heh.

I guess we can scratch off the fire flower now lol.
I read that sea turtles navigate a thousand miles on instinct. Not in New York traffic they don't.
oldskoolplayer86
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Redstar » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:17 pm

The flamethrowers could easily have been inspired by the Fire Flowers (or the ability to throw fire in the games in general) while only being named for the Fry Guys. After all, Daisy is Toadstool with Daisy's name and the Goombas are Goombas, Koopas, and more, but all labeled "Goomba."
Redstar

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:48 am

Thinking back on what i said about the Koopa Troopas in the movie, they may not be the Troopas at all, there was another snake like enemy in the games....

....the snakes from SMB2

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby 1upmushroom » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:13 am

Their heads look more a like do they? Interesting observation, well spotted but we also made a guess that snake goombas were like snake enemies.
Isn't this a little feminine?

Yes. I know. It was my ex wife's.

But you wear this stuff?!

Yeah on an occasion we have a date.
1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby oldskoolplayer86 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:56 pm

One other reference I noticed.

During the scene where Koopa finds out Lena has the rock, at the start of the scene as he is turning in his chair you can hear the flagpole sound effect. (If its not its very similar).
oldskoolplayer86
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Mono41 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Here's something I posted in a different thread, but I figured people might find it better if I put it here:

* My cousin noticed that when Mario falls into the rock, he changes colors on his way to Dinohattan, kinda like when Mario gets a Starman power-up.
Last edited by Mono41 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fire rises
Mono41
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Star Ma'am » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Lena could be the Koopalings' mother who is never mentioned in the games

The lady with the egg in the pram could be a Birdo (the egg-spitting miniboss from SMB2)
"Somewhere my love, there will be songs to sing... although the snow covers the hope of Spring..."
Sergeant Simon: Sir, the Goombas are dancing again...
King Koopa: DEAL WITH IT!!
Star Ma'am
They say it's "dog"

Postby Mario86 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Phlibbit wrote:
Star Ma'am wrote:-Some people think 'Somewhere My Love' (or 'The Dancing Goombas' Song', as I affectionately call it for obvious reasons) was added in because the tune sounds very similar to the underwater theme from the original Super Mario Bros.

I've always thought this--I'm surprised someone else made that connection. While I'm not sure if this song had a deliberate connection to the original SMB underwater theme, it's a compelling coincidence at the very least. I've always wanted to make a video mishmashing the elevator theme and the SMB underwater theme.

I noticed that coincidence the first time I watched the movie at 8 :lol: ... coincidence, really? I think not.

By the way, I've just read the whole topic, and thanks to everyone for pointing out so many disturbing coincidences and cute details related to the Super Mario video games series 8)
Visit Mario Museum for free! ;)
Mario86
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Redstar » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Mario86 wrote:By the way, I've just read the whole topic, and thanks to everyone for pointing out so many disturbing coincidences and cute details related to the Super Mario video games series 8)

That's what this topic is for! Both because it's fun picking out all these little references to the games and also because a lot of people don't realize just how much of "Mario" is in the movie. They really tried their best to fit in what they could, and it shows.

Here's a reference that both oldskoolplayer and myself noticed: right after Mario tosses the de-evolved mushroom at Koopa he grows slightly as they both dissolve back into Dinohattan. xD
Redstar

Postby Star Ma'am » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Just the other day, I realised Lena could have been named after Lina (one of the player characters from Dokidoki Panic, the original version of SMB2)...

By the way, mum and I watched the movie today. Nice little 'get-well gift' after my right leg went weak yet again (I bust it at age 17, I did have a metal rod inserted but it still goes weak sometimes, I even twisted the ankle once) - and I bumped my eye, now I've half a black eye and a bruised and swollen cheek. The cheek still hurts so I need to be careful rubbing it and smiling on the right side - so when mum and I watched the movie, obviously I had to take care especially when the Goomba elevator scene came on LOL
"Somewhere my love, there will be songs to sing... although the snow covers the hope of Spring..."
Sergeant Simon: Sir, the Goombas are dancing again...
King Koopa: DEAL WITH IT!!
Star Ma'am
They say it's "dog"

Postby Redstar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Star Ma'am wrote:Just the other day, I realised Lena could have been named after Lina (one of the player characters from Dokidoki Panic, the original version of SMB2)...

You know, that actually sounds somewhat possible.
Redstar

Postby 1upmushroom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Hey no one brought this up.

-In the Bowser levels of the games, notice how they are all dark, moody, and morbid. Well isn't that how Dinohatten is like? Which is ruled by Koopa making it Dinohatten his world?

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Prime Evil » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm

1upmushroom wrote:Hey no one brought this up.

-In the Bowser levels of the games, notice how they are all dark, moody, and morbid. Well isn't that how Dinohatten is like? Which is ruled by Koopa making it Dinohatten his world?

*DOINK*

Suddenly it all makes sense.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby KoopaBro64 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:20 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but, Lena is named after the character from "Doki Doki Panic" the game the American version of Super Mario Bros. 2 was based off!

Lena was named after the pink character, "Lina" :)
"You don't have the rock!..you filthy mammal.." Image
KoopaBro64
Nobody Touches My Tools

Location: I'm from that little part of all of us that can't stand to see someone in need or pain...

Postby Mario500 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Early in the movie, the van used by the Mario Bros. passed a store named "Mr. Video III". "Mr. Video" was a name Shigeru Miyamoto considered for the character who we know today as Mario, according to an interview conducted a few years ago by Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo in Japan. Here is a link to the part of the interview in which this information was revealed:

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/nsmb/vol1_page2.jsp
Mario500
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Redstar » Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 am

Mario500 wrote:Early in the movie, the van used by the Mario Bros. passed a store named "Mr. Video III". "Mr. Video" was a name Shigeru Miyamoto considered for the character who we know today as Mario, according to an interview conducted a few years ago by Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo in Japan. Here is a link to the part of the interview in which this information was revealed:

Fascinating. I would have never caught that reference, nor do I think anyone else would have! That's just an incredibly obscure reference that I would be totally surprised was intentional. :D
Redstar

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Hey i just realized something guys.....

Birdo from SMB2 is in the movie! She's that chick with the egg "Get away from my baby!" Hell she even has the bow in her hair like Birdo.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby Serum » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:23 pm

jka12002 wrote:Hey i just realized something guys.....

Birdo from SMB2 is in the movie! She's that chick with the egg "Get away from my baby!" Hell she even has the bow in her hair like Birdo.

Good catch. I don't think she even got a credit at the end of the movie, though.
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Prime Evil » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Star Ma'am wrote:The lady with the egg in the pram could be a Birdo (the egg-spitting miniboss from SMB2)

"Egg-spitting?" Well...judging from her taste in clothing, I'd call that a big "yes."

And yes, that is code for something.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Shotgunwaffles » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Prime Evil wrote:
Star Ma'am wrote:The lady with the egg in the pram could be a Birdo (the egg-spitting miniboss from SMB2)

"Egg-spitting?" Well...judging from her taste in clothing, I'd call that a big "yes."

And yes, that is code for something.

Lol i see what you did there.
Shotgunwaffles
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Serum » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:29 pm

Redstar wrote:
Mario500 wrote:Early in the movie, the van used by the Mario Bros. passed a store named "Mr. Video III". "Mr. Video" was a name Shigeru Miyamoto considered for the character who we know today as Mario, according to an interview conducted a few years ago by Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo in Japan. Here is a link to the part of the interview in which this information was revealed:

Fascinating. I would have never caught that reference, nor do I think anyone else would have! That's just an incredibly obscure reference that I would be totally surprised was intentional. :D

I've often seen that "Mister Video III" store in that scene and always thought it was just a real store in downtown Wilmington or Brooklyn. That is indeed a good catch.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 pm

A thought just occurred to me...

Had the movie been more successful, I wonder if they'd have called the location it was shot "Mario's Cement Factory."

...can we call it that, anyway?
ImageImageImageImage
LBD_Nytetrayn
Fried Tweeter--Only 20 Koopons

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Wow, I can't believe I never picked up on that before. Stuff like the "Mr. Video" store and this sly coincidence adds that much more fun trivia to an already nuanced experience :)
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby MrGoomba909 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:57 pm

I just noticed this yesterday while re-watching the movie, during the scene at the boom boom bar, at one point there is a screen in the background with growing/shrinking bowser cave heads from Super mario world-

Attatched file has
Attachments
Moveshot1.gif
Moveshot1.gif (140.3 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
Last edited by MrGoomba909 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think It's time to become more active in this site...
MrGoomba909
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Mario500 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Serum wrote:I've often seen that "Mister Video III" store in that scene and always thought it was just a real store in downtown Wilmington or Brooklyn. That is indeed a good catch.

It is a real video store in Brooklyn, New York. You may see it from Google Maps by selecting the link below.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zhD&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&gs_upl=1892l4684l1l4950l14l13l1l0l0l0l335l2522l0.7.5.1l14l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1152&bih=680&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Mr.+Video+III+in+Brooklyn&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Mr.+Video+III&hnear=0x89c24416947c2109:0x82765c7404007886,Brooklyn,+NY&cid=12826319676735772166

According to Hiroshi Imanishi, a former director and general manager of the corporate communications division at Nintendo in Japan, before the name Mr. Video was considered for the main character in Donkey Kong, the character was called "Ossan", which means "middle-aged guy". The information was revealed in another interview conducted by Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo in Japan. Here is a link to the part of the interview with the information:

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/mario25th/vol2_page4.jsp
Mario500
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Prime Evil » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:49 pm

RE: Mr. Video III

Coincidence, or knowing homage? On the one hand, it seems like a coincidence, but consider that *that* road was used when they could have shot just anywhere...
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Serum » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Prime Evil wrote:RE: Mr. Video III

Coincidence, or knowing homage? On the one hand, it seems like a coincidence, but consider that *that* road was used when they could have shot just anywhere...

No, I'm fairly certain that's a knowing homage. You don't just call a video-store something like that, and have the sign lined up three times in a row as a coincidence.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Prime Evil wrote:RE: Mr. Video III

The production had lists upon lists of nothing but references to the games and ways to translate them into the film. The directors referred to them extensively while the art/production design teams went so far as to design and build them.

So, yes: I'd say this is a knowing homage. :P
Redstar

Postby Tailikku » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:17 am

While this kinda cheats a bit, I have made some other connections to the movie from the games.

-First, in the Paper Mario titles, the Bob-ombs have a design similar to the one that Mario uses to send Koopa flying into that bucket: they have a fuse, a nozzle as well as a key for winding it up.

-The Ice Slide scene mat have inspired "Bobsled Run" in the first two Mario Party titles as well as the Penguin Slide in Super Mario 64 and its DS remake, and possibly even the slide in Crystal Caves in DK64.

-It's a bit of a stretch, but in Mario & Luigi on the GBA, when getting your pictures taken, it's possible to have the bros in a "shocked" pose similar to the wanted posters.

-Drawing upon the original script (which had Koopa as the Bowser we all know and love), Big Eddie's last name is Delpino, one letter off of Delphino, the main setting of Mario Sunshine. Eddie is also part of the mafia, which also shows up as the Pianta Syndicate in Paper Mario 2.

-One thing that is interesting is that Scapelli's goons may have been an influence on Wario and Waluigi, as they are the rivals of the Mario Bros. and are possibly bad at plumbing considering that they're only in it for the moola, whether or not it was gained legitimately.
Tailikku
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:46 pm

All of you guys missed another obvious one. When Mario starts up the cop car he yells "Lets hit the bricks!", a clear refrence to Mario's ability to smash through brick walls in the games.

Postby Mama Luigi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 am

It's quite obvious I think a lot of people know this already, but I still think it's really cool and no one has mentioned it before.

The journey in Koopa's tower, and the final battle with Koopa at the end of the movie, clearly resemble the final battles & the last castle at the end of every Super Mario Bros game.
Mama Luigi
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:21 am

jka12002 wrote:All of you guys missed another obvious one. When Mario starts up the cop car he yells "Lets hit the bricks!", a clear refrence to Mario's ability to smash through brick walls in the games.

Given it's an actual expression, I have to admit it never occurred to me.

Tailikku wrote:While this kinda cheats a bit, I have made some other connections to the movie from the games.

-First, in the Paper Mario titles, the Bob-ombs have a design similar to the one that Mario uses to send Koopa flying into that bucket: they have a fuse, a nozzle as well as a key for winding it up.

Bob-ombs have looked like that since Super Mario Bros. 3, though. Heck, the candy toy I used as a prop for my costume even has the same basic look to it.
ImageImageImageImage
LBD_Nytetrayn

Re: Game References/Homages

Postby Serum » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:10 pm

I swear there's a scene where you can see Koopa's personal maintenance men outside his window overlooking the slums-- they're dressed in what would later become Mario and Luigi's jumpsuits. I'll try to get a picture of it...

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:35 pm

I think i just figured something out about this movie, you know how in the older games it starts out easy and then gradualy gets harder and harder as you progress through the levels? The way the tone of the movie goes from a kiddie/light hearted tone to a dark and edgier tone may be a play on that factor of the games,

Postby 1upmushroom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:45 am

Serum already mentioned this in another thread but I thought I'd post it here as well.

The reason why the Goombas are so tall in this movie is a reference/joke on the fact that when normal sized, the Mario's are just as tall or even shorter than the Goombas.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby The Doc » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 pm

This is likely nothing more than a mere coincidence.

In the very first Mario Bros game, there were enemies called Slipices, a sort of Ice Man that if left unattended, will make the level it comes to rest on slippery. Coulde the Ice Slide scene be inspired from them? Most likely? No. Still...

Now THIS is definately just a co-incidence. It was said much of the movie was filmed in a cement factory. Well here is a VERY compelling and amusing co-incidence.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario's_Cement_Factory
The Doc
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:27 am

I think we brought up the cement factory thing, though I think that was in another thread about the factory itself...
ImageImageImageImage
LBD_Nytetrayn

Postby Redstar » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:42 pm

The cement factory is a good parallel, but certainly not an intended reference or homage.
Redstar

PreviousNext

Return to Super Mario Bros.