Blu-Ray Re-Release Information/Petition

Discuss the movie and related media here

Blu-Ray Re-Release Information/Petition

Postby Phlibbit » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:51 am

So, I was in Barnes & Noble the other day, and guess what I found?

Yep, I did a double take. It must be a new edition of the SMB DVD, with a different cover. Here are some comparison pics:

Obviously, the cover is slightly different, with the quotes re-arranged and the title on the top. My guess is the reason for this re-release was to have the title on the top.

Also, if you recall, the original VHS release had this cool matte black finish, with all the logos and artwork with a glossy finish. The 2003 DVD release also had this, but this new re-release does away with that.

Note the discolor on the back cover. The only other variation I can notice is under "specifications," it reads "may apply only to feature film." Which is interesting as that's the ONLY thing on the disc...lol.

And there's the big question I know all of you are dying to ask: did they fix the faulty widescreen issue?

No. It's exactly the same as before: widescreen, but only if you're viewing in full-screen mode.

And that really sucks. I'm thinking more and more that the DVD releases were ripped straight from the laserdisc and haven't been optimized or anything.

Sigh. I'm sending BV/Disney another email about this, and you should too.

UPDATE 1:

Here's my e-mail, sent on 8/4/10:
Hi folks,

Hopefully this is the right forum for this sort of thing.

The original 2003 DVD release of Super Mario Bros. had a huge problem with aspect ratio. Essentially, the disc is not optimized for widescreen televisions. If you have a 4:3 television, it's in widescreen, but if you play the disc in a 16:9 widescreen television, it stretches the image.

Yesterday, I saw a new DVD version of this film at Barnes & Noble that had a new cover, and I purchased it, hoping that this problem would be fixed after seven years of waiting. It wasn't. Same problem still there.

So, I'd really appreciate it if someone could get on fixing this issue. Or even get a Blu-Ray release of this in the works. I run the internet's most popular SMB Movie website and I've compiled all sorts of things that would make for wonderful special features, if only someone would get the greenlight to do a Blu-Ray of this film.

Anyway, there are a lot of fans out there waiting for a decent release of this film. Thanks for your time!

-Ryan Hoss
Webmaster, SMB Movie Archive (http://www.smbmovie.com)

And here's their response:

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for the e-mail regarding your Super Mario Bros DVD. We are concerned about your inquiry and would like an opportunity to address this issue with greater detail.

The reason the video is stretching on your 16:9 television is because this DVD is not anamorphic. Your television recognizes that there are black bars on the sides or top and bottom of the screen, and it fills that space by stretching the image.

You may adjust the Picture Size or View Mode settings on the TV so the image fills the screen without being distorted.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We appreciate your comments and will forward your email to the correct department for consideration.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-477-2811 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1-800-477-2811      end_of_the_skype_highlighting, Mondays 9:30-7:30 and Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST so we can further assist you.

Thank you,

Buena Vista Home Entertainment Technical Support

UPDATE 2:

Here's Redstar's e-mail, sent on 8/4/10:

Dear Disney and Buena Vista,

It has recently come to my attention that the original Super Mario Bros. film has received a re-release in DVD-form. Unfortunately, this re-release has only minor cosmetic changes and does not correct previous problems with the movie, including the original poor transfer into a faulty aspect-ratio.

As a long-time fan and member of the largest community devoted to the movie I am sad to see it so blatantly dismissed yet again. While the movie was never a box office success, the cult status of the film guarantees fair returns in the form of an updated, heavily-expanded re-release on either DVD or Blu-Ray format. Simply locking the movie away is not a smart investment. An updated re-release will, even over time, recoup original losses and revive interest in the original movie. Sales will go up. In the long-run this is the most intelligent route to take.

I thank you for your time and hope that my message and hopes reach the proper department for consideration.

Sincerely,

Steven Applebaum

Steven,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns about Super Mario Bros.. We value your interest in Buena Vista Home Entertainment Movies and we love to hear the opinions of our viewers. We will forward your comments to our Marketing Department for their review.

Regards,
BVHE Consumer Relations

UPDATE 3:

Here's billbot85's e-mail, sent on 8/4/10:

Hi there,

I noticed that Buena Vista has released a new copy of Super Mario Bros (1993) that has a different cover from the 2003 release. However, the film is still not anamorphic, and therefore does not fit well onto widescreen televisions, making the picture stretched out and not pleasurable to watch. Also, this DVD is still a bare bones release, with not special features such as deleted scenes, audio commentary, interviews, or behind the scenes footage.

Is it possible to reformat the film into a new DVD release that can include all of that? I am a member of smbmovie.com forums and archive, and the members of the site are interested in a special edition release of the movie. Overall, I beleive that adding in deleted scenes would help tie the film together a lot more. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Bill Levasseur

Bill,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns about Super Mario Bros.. We value your interest in Buena Vista Home Entertainment Movies and we love to hear the opinions of our viewers. We will forward your comments to our Marketing Department for their review.

Regards,
BVHE Consumer Relations

UPDATE 4:

Here's Incognitus's e-mail:

Hello
I recently noticed that BuenaVista re-released the DVD from the movie Super Mario Bros. (1993) with new cover. But the film it's not anamorphic and the picture looks streched out in widescreen TVs. Also, the DVD does not contain any special features (behind the scenes, deleted scenes, etc).

As a member of smbmovie.com forum and devoted fan of the movie, i'm interested in a new special edition from this
film, and maybe a worldwide release of the movie. That would be great.

Thank You for your time.

Best,
Jesus Feria

Jesus,

Regards,
BVHE Consumer Relations

UPDATE 5:

Well, it seems like this story has been picked up on a number of websites...seems like it started on The Examiner and it took off from there. Here are some links:

http://www.examiner.com/canada-nintendo-in-canada/super-mario-bros-movie-gets-dvd-re-release
http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/?p=736
http://iplextra.indiatimes.com/article/045I4MBgqscOE?q=Nintendo
http://www.gameguru.in/general/2010/16/super-mario-bros-movie-released-again-on-dvd/
http://blog.wirebot.com/2010/08/16/super-mario-bros-movie-gets-re-released-on-dvd/
http://elitebattlezone.com/ps3-hottest-weekly-news/5012-frothing-popular-demand-prompts-super-mario-bros-movie-re-release
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=133277
http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81480/frothing-popular-demand-prompts-super-mario-bros-movie-re-release/
http://retro.nintendolife.com/news/2010/08/super_mario_bros_movie_re_released_on_dvd_spot_the_difference
http://www.destructoid.com/super-mario-bros-the-movie-gets-re-released-on-dvd-181462.phtml
http://n4g.com/news/584618/super-mario-bros-movie-re-released-on-dvd-spot-the-difference
http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2970&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Cool, huh?

As you can see, with only three e-mails in the bag, we're already starting to get a canned response. Hopefully, something will come of this if enough there's enough support. To really get them to listen, you'll have to come up with different angles and reasons for why you'd like a new, anamorphic version of the SMB film.

When emailing, try to use some of the different categories (for example, for the "category" option, I picked "technical support." For the "issue" column, try different options, such as aspect ratio, bonus features, etc. Be creative.

Come on guys, LET THEM KNOW that we need an ANAMORPHIC release of this film.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Re: NEW DVD RELEASE! AVAILABLE NOW! However...

Postby billbot85 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm guessing there still aren't any special features added either, right?
"Sir...the goombas are dancing again."
billbot85
Fried Tweeter--Only 20 Koopons

Postby Phlibbit » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:55 pm

billbot85 wrote:I'm guessing there still aren't any special features added either, right?

You would be correct. It's exactly the same disc as before, with the same menus and lame video transfer.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Redstar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:03 pm

I feel ashamed that I held a copy of the SMB movie in my hand that very well may have been this "new" release. It takes a devoted fan to notice such minuscule differences. :wink:

I've been wanting to contact whoever is in charge of holding us back from a proper release so I'm glad you posted up an E-mail. I've also been wanting to organize a large group into penning so many inquiries that Disney is forced to reconsider their current stance. I feel we should all send an E-mail and should get anyone we can to do so as well. It's a slow process but over time it could lead to the result we're all hoping for, much like the heavy petitioning of fans led to an extended release of Waterworld.
Redstar
Finally seen the Dark Knight trilogy

Re: NEW DVD RELEASE--STILL NON-ANAMORPHIC--YOU CAN HELP!

Postby Phlibbit » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:11 pm

So I did some researching, and it turns out that Buena Vista is NOTORIOUS for releasing non-anamorphic DVDs. Apparently, when DVD first took off (and most of us still had 4:3 televisions), they just took their backlog of films and did quick DVD transfers, using the laserdisc versions as their source (I knew it).

Nowadays, more people have wide-screen televisions, and people are more aware of this issue. Most current/future BV releases are just fine.

The bottom line is that to get a true, anamorphic transfer of Super Mario Bros, the studio must make a new video transfer of the original film. Which means somebody has to actually do something. Which means it'll take a lot of complaining to actually get them to do it.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby billbot85 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Just sent an email. Requested an anamorphic release and deleted scenes. Got my fingers crossed
billbot85

Postby Redstar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Phlibbit wrote:Sooo...not much help on the BV front...initially at least. Come on guys, let them know that we need an ANAMORPHIC release of this film.

I'm surprised at how courteous and informative their response was. I would have expected either no response or something more dismissive, so I see this as a good sign. Hopefully attention is paid to our concerns.

Here's my E-mail:

Dear Disney and Buena Vista,

It has recently come to my attention that the original Super Mario Bros. film has received a re-release in DVD-form. Unfortunately, this re-release has only minor cosmetic changes and does not correct previous problems with the movie, including the original poor transfer into a faulty aspect-ratio.

As a long-time fan and member of the largest community devoted to the movie I am sad to see it so blatantly dismissed yet again. While the movie was never a box office success, the cult status of the film guarantees fair returns in the form of an updated, heavily-expanded re-release on either DVD or Blu-Ray format. Simply locking the movie away is not a smart investment. An updated re-release will, even over time, recoup original losses and revive interest in the original movie. Sales will go up. In the long-run this is the most intelligent route to take.

I thank you for your time and hope that my message and hopes reach the proper department for consideration.

Sincerely,

Steven Applebaum
Redstar

Postby Phlibbit » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Awesome effort guys. Billbot, mind posting the e-mail you sent? And I'd like the responses back as they arrive, of course.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby incognitus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Looks like a copy-paste losely changed of the former DVD
Millions of years of climbing up from the ooze, instantly reversed. Imagine the horror as it all slips away. It's worse than mere death. It's being undone
incognitus
EVERYBODEH'S GOT TAP WATAH

Postby Redstar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:12 am

Someone on another forum pointed out to me that this redesign of the packaging is probably just a subtle tactic to boost sells as "title-on-top" usually sells better, which is something they only bothered with because they were replacing the original DVD release anyways with the "eco-friendly" DVD box. This seems a likely conclusion as I can just make out the recyclable symbol on the left inside plastic. Sound about right?
Redstar

Postby billbot85 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Here is my email:

Hi there,

I noticed that Buena Vista has released a new copy of Super Mario Bros (1993) that has a different cover from the 2003 release. However, the film is still not anamorphic, and therefore does not fit well onto widescreen televisions, making the picture stretched out and not pleasurable to watch. Also, this DVD is still a bare bones release, with not special features such as deleted scenes, audio commentary, interviews, or behind the scenes footage.

Is it possible to reformat the film into a new DVD release that can include all of that? I am a member of smbmovie.com forums and archive, and the members of the site are interested in a special edition release of the movie. Overall, I beleive that adding in deleted scenes would help tie the film together a lot more. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Bill Levasseur

And here is there response:

Bill,

Regards,
BVHE Consumer Relations

Also, I just realized the DVD copy I own is the newer version. I bought it at Newbury Comics sometime back in March or April.
billbot85

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Redstar wrote:Someone on another forum pointed out to me that this redesign of the packaging is probably just a subtle tactic to boost sells as "title-on-top" usually sells better, which is something they only bothered with because they were replacing the original DVD release anyways with the "eco-friendly" DVD box. This seems a likely conclusion as I can just make out the recyclable symbol on the left inside plastic. Sound about right?

That's exactly what I was thinking--just changing the cover so the title is at the top, making it more visible. Exactly.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Redstar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:25 pm

billbot, I received the same response so at this point they're no longer listening. The only way to get their attention is to keep sending messages on this issue from all directions.
Redstar

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:37 pm

I posted the gist of this at the top:

Like you said Redstar, with only three e-mails in the bag, we're already starting to get a canned response. To really get them to listen, you'll have to come up with different angles and reasons for why you'd like a new, anamorphic version of the SMB film.

When emailing, try to use some of the different categories (for example, for the "category" option, I picked "technical support." For the "issue" column, try different options, such as aspect ratio, bonus features, etc. Be creative.

Also, the mass-email I sent out about this issue--I also posted it on the SMB IMDB.com boards, as well as on the SMB Movie Yahoo Group. Feel free to post this on any forums/sites that you think would aid the cause.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby incognitus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:54 pm

This is my message

Hello
I recently noticed that BuenaVista re-released the DVD from the movie Super Mario Bros. (1993) with new cover. But the film it's not anamorphic and the picture looks streched out in widescreen TVs. Also, the DVD does not contain any special features (behind the scenes, deleted scenes, etc).

As a member of smbmovie.com forum and devoted fan of the movie, i'm interested in a new special edition from this

Thank You for your time.

Best,
Jesus Feria
Millions of years of climbing up from the ooze, instantly reversed. Imagine the horror as it all slips away. It's worse than mere death. It's being undone
incognitus

Postby incognitus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:20 pm

incognitus wrote:This is my message

Hello

Thank You for your time.

Best,
Jesus Feria

And guess what?

Jesus,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns about SUPER MARIO BROS.. We value your interest in Walt Disney Home Entertainment Movies and we love to hear the opinions of our viewers. We will forward your comments to our Marketing Department for their review.
Regards,
BVHE Consumer Relations

D'oh!
incognitus

Postby ultimateemail5000 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:52 pm

incognitus wrote:
incognitus wrote:This is my message

Hello

Thank You for your time.

Best,
Jesus Feria

And guess what?

Jesus,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns about SUPER MARIO BROS.. We value your interest in Walt Disney Home Entertainment Movies and we love to hear the opinions of our viewers. We will forward your comments to our Marketing Department for their review.
Regards,
BVHE Consumer Relations

D'oh!

Did they just call you jesus? Seriously I should send my e-mail to them but don't have one prepared or anything. I would just say if they put time into a nice bluray with some extras and maybe advertise it like they did with the Street Fighter movie. They might have a chance to get their money back.
ultimateemail5000
No Leak Too Small

Postby incognitus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:46 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:Seriously I should send my e-mail to them but don't have one prepared or anything. I would just say if they put time into a nice bluray with some extras and maybe advertise it like they did with the Street Fighter movie. They might have a chance to get their money back.

Good point

ultimateemail5000 wrote:Did they just call you jesus?

Um... yes, why?
incognitus

Postby Kougo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:52 pm

So, wait a minute. How recent is this "rerelease"? I've had the "new" DVD release for well over a year now. I didn't even know it was a rerelease to begin with!
Kougo
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:24 am

I figured this "new" release had been out for a while, especially when Restar said that he picked his up a while ago. Just seems like I'm the only one that noticed the difference, lol :D
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby incognitus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:59 pm

You are becoming famous, Phlibbit
incognitus

Postby Redstar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:05 pm

That's pretty cool, especially in the articles that mention the site and you by name! :mrgreen:
Redstar

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:45 pm

I really think it's awesome. I especially appreciated the one site that said something along the lines of "I don't see why there isn't a better special edition of this movie out there, especially considering the wealth of information on sites like the Super Mario Bros. Movie Archive..."
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Redstar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:09 pm

I decided to send Disney/Buena Vista another E-mail in light of the German release Making of... special feature and the correct anamorphic feature of some of the foreign releases.

Dear Disney,

I am writing concerning the poor DVD release of the Super Mario Bros. movie. It has come to my attention that not only has Buena Vista re-released the film with only a change of cover, but that foreign releases have seen both proper anamorphic/aspect ratio transfers and special features.

Why have the American release(s) not been given this same treatment considering the large American fanbase for both the movie and the video game series? Are there any plans to rectify either of these issues on a future DVD or Blu-Ray release?

Sincerely, Steven Applebaum

This time they wrote back with a slightly more personal message rather than the last few canned responses we've been getting:

Dear Steven,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns about Super Mario Bros. We value your interest in Buena Vista Home Entertainment Movies and we love to hear the opinions of our viewers.

At this time there are no plans for re-releasing this title. We will forward your comments to our Marketing Department for further review.

If you have any other issues or questions feel free to contact us at 1-800-477-2811, Mondays 9:30-7:30 and Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST.

Thank you,

Buena Vista Home Entertainment Technical Support

I urge all of you to continually write to Disney/Buena Vista through their Contact page to get the message across that we want this. Get your friends and people on other forums to take action, even if it's just a small query... I've started threads about this on other forums, why can't you? Spread the word!
Redstar

Postby 1upmushroom » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Redstar wrote: I've started threads about this on other forums, why can't you?

Cuz there are a lot of people against the movie and are trying to make sure it didn't happen and won't happen again. (Just Kidding)

But anyways, I'll try and spread the word out in my other forums.
Isn't this a little feminine?

Yes. I know. It was my ex wife's.

But you wear this stuff?!

Yeah on an occasion we have a date.
1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:34 pm

1upmushroom wrote:Cuz there are a lot of people against the movie and are trying to make sure it didn't happen and won't happen again. (Just Kidding)

But anyways, I'll try and spread the word out in my other forums.

I've brought this issue up regardless of that seemingly prevalent opinion... I've found that movie sites tend to be the most forgiving, though you'd be surprised how many Mario fansites are either supportive or at least apathetic about the movie. The movie has its supporters... Just gotta find them! :D
Redstar

Postby Phlibbit » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:15 pm

I've really seen a trend in the last five years or so alone--the opinion on this film is quickly changing from "the worst movie ever made" to "okay, it's not that bad," to even "I always liked this movie." Consider this--it used to be on IMDB's top 100 lowest rated movies of all time, and now it's not even close.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Prime Evil » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Phlibbit wrote:I've really seen a trend in the last five years or so alone--the opinion on this film is quickly changing from "the worst movie ever made" to "okay, it's not that bad," to even "I always liked this movie." Consider this--it used to be on IMDB's top 100 lowest rated movies of all time, and now it's not even close.

You have Batman and Robin to thank for that. :wink:

Also, there must be a lot of people who now recognize that this was the FIRST live-action video-game adaptation and are giving it a bit more leeway now. You have to admit, it was pretty much uncharted territory.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Redstar » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:26 pm

Prime Evil wrote:
Phlibbit wrote:I've really seen a trend in the last five years or so alone--the opinion on this film is quickly changing from "the worst movie ever made" to "okay, it's not that bad," to even "I always liked this movie." Consider this--it used to be on IMDB's top 100 lowest rated movies of all time, and now it's not even close.

You have Batman and Robin to thank for that. :wink:

Also, there must be a lot of people who now recognize that this was the FIRST live-action video-game adaptation and are giving it a bit more leeway now. You have to admit, it was pretty much uncharted territory.

That's very true. People are more willing to be forgiving as time passes and they understand the context of the original project. Super Mario Bros. was a trailblazer, meaning there was no trail ahead them before they made it. Can we blame them for not knowing which way to go sometimes?
Redstar

Postby Phlibbit » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:31 pm

I think one big thing to note is that the producers had two choices--try to make an accurate and faithful adaptation of the games (fantasy version) or make an accurate adaptation, while trying to re-imagine the concept (sci-fi version).

At the end of the day, they tried doing both things--and they picked one. Some people hate what they chose, but Redstar is right--it's much easier now to see where they were coming from.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby 1upmushroom » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:54 am

Um look I was just kidding. I already knew everyone was starting to forgive this movie. But now that the evidence is clearly shows to me. So I take my post back.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby moviemaker29 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Phlibbit's mentioning of one of the article's more complimentary notations about the weallth of knowledge and research found on this site has got me thinking...

If Buena Vista is going to keep referring interest in this film to their Marketing Dept, it would make sense that maybe we try to do the same... And with that in mind, I wonder if we could drum up enough interest in this film within their marketing dept by offering to work on compiling some good information and features that would make a DVD/Blu-ray version of this film more desirable to buyers. I mean, maybe now is the right time to start building this film up specifically for it's cult status. Films that get that type of following only get bigger over time.

We know there is a lot of great behind-the-scenes footage out there and between that and all of the interviews, concept art, photos, etc that this site has compiled, I personally believe a nice set of special features could easily be compiled for this film.

Okay those are my two cents worth of thought for this afternoon... :wink:
moviemaker29
They say it's "dog"

Postby Phlibbit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:41 pm

You're absolutely right. We just have to figure out how to present our ideas to the right people on the right team at BV/Disney--and show them that there is both an interest in the film, as well as this website that has painstakingly tried to compile as much potential info on the film as possible.

I mean, we've got scripts, props, storyboards, interviews, articles, etc. There's enough here for a production team of sorts to easily get some things together.

And most of all--get a better release of the film. I can even imagine one of those features that would have pop-ups throughout the film mentioning stuff like the game references :D
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Redstar » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:18 am

Phlibbit wrote:And most of all--get a better release of the film. I can even imagine one of those features that would have pop-ups throughout the film mentioning stuff like the game references :D

That's really the most obvious and easiest special feature. It could be done in a few hours if they just allocated the most basic computer graphics artist to it. There's no excuse not to have this.
Redstar

Postby Mono41 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:34 pm

The cover isn't that new. I rented back in mid-July and the cover was this "new" one. I know it was, cause I remember wondering why Koopa was all blue. also the Blockbuster sticker was covering up "The Washington Post" (where it says "It's a Blast!").
The fire rises
Mono41
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Phlibbit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Even though it's not "new" as we speak, the fact is that it was a quiet second release from the original 2003 DVD release.

There was a DVD release in 2003 which sucked. Perhaps it was acceptable at the time, but certainly not by today's basic DVD standards.

And then there was a second release--sometime in the last year or so, which was kind of an unnannounced thing. They changed the cover and kept the same disc and features (none) from the 2003 version.

There was obviously enough demand for Disney/BV to make new copies, and they put enough effort into it to pay someone to change the cover around and put it through production again. And it's still the same awful non-anamorphic transfer, which is ridiculous.

And considering that there are actually anamorphic transfers in some of the non-Disney international releases--some that even have special features--it's doubly ridiculous.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Mono41 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:37 pm

Well it doesn't matter how new the cover is as long as everyone is semi-happy. You know cuz they're happy 'bout the new cover but not happy 'bout no features or it being non-anamorphic.
The fire rises
Mono41
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Phlibbit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:07 pm

I'm not happy about the new cover--I saw it thinking it was an updated release, and was tricked into purchasing it, and disovered that it was just the same disc. I don't think anyone on this forum is semi-happy about it.

The interesting thing is, if you read a lot of the comments on the news stories re-reporting this post, there's actually a lot of renewed interest in the film. Some people are always gonna be negative, sure--but I was surprised at how many people said things like "this was a great film from my childhood," or "since I know it's on DVD I'll go buy it now." We're to the point now where a lot of people will be re-discovering the film after not seeing it for so long, or being exposed to it for the first time.

It's a perfect opportunity for Disney/BV to put just a tad of initiative into this thing and get a better release out there.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby 1upmushroom » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 pm

You know when will BV and Disney get it through their thick skulls that this is no longer that embarrasing movie that should not be named. It HAS a fan base and not a lot of people hate it anymore. This movie may not be a masterpiece but it IS worth watching and it deserves a real new release. Not just a carbon copy with something different.

This movie has gone and try to make a good adaption and a good movie as well but failed to appeal to the audience. And that makes a good excuse to not make a good release?!

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Next

Return to Super Mario Bros.