The S.M.B.A. Thread

Discuss the movie and related media here

The S.M.B.A. Thread

Postby 1upmushroom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Welcome to the Super Mario Bros Analyzer Thread, where we spot things in the movie and analyze, some things are mere movie goofs, while others may have to have some imagination brought in so we analyze.

I'll start us off with some questions that weren't answered:

* How the king changed back even though nothing implies that he was evovled.

* Where did Mario and Luigi put their clothes when they changed into their jumpsuits?

* When the Mario Bros. climb out of the elevator how they got other boots and where they put their stompers has yet to be explained.

* An explanation of how half the dino world is just desert would be nice.

* A variation of the above question is why there is only a dino version of New York and not the entire world.

* Why would there be a defungus squad when half the entire city is covered with fungus? The residents are gonna get contaminated with fungus again sine there's so much of it, that squad kinda of pointless.

I'll tell ya, we damn Analyzers know how to waste time while having fun with it.

Also remember some of these questions may be a joke, so dont always take this questons seriously.
Isn't this a little feminine?

Yes. I know. It was my ex wife's.

But you wear this stuff?!

Yeah on an occasion we have a date.
1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Re: The S.M.B.A. Thread

Postby SethRex » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:23 pm

an interesting question is:

Just how big is Dinohatton anyway?
SethRex
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby 1upmushroom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 pm

SethRex2012 wrote:an interesting question is:

I'd say about thesame size as MANhatten.

A REALLY interesting question would be since when could a meteor create in itself a new dimension?! I didn't get taught THAT at school!

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 pm

1upmushroom wrote:An explanation of how half the dino world is just desert would be nice.

A variation of the above question is why there is only a dino version of New York and not the entire world.

I think that the parallel world had been deteriorating and dying for a long time, even before Koopa took over. The sub-dimension itself was simply unstable and couldn't sustain itself. Initially, their version of Earth was probably a lush, primordial jungle that slowly died off.

As for the second part to your question, I think that Dinohattan isn't necessarily a "parallel New York." It simply occupies the area of parallel-Earth that is in the same area as our Earth's New York. Koopa simply became obsessed with New York and chose to rebuild his city in its image, changing its name and recreating landmarks.
Redstar
Finally seen the Dark Knight trilogy

Postby 1upmushroom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Before the birth of this thread, a question thread that inspired this was a question about what would happen if Daisy had sex. After numerous SMB jokes and thought out questioning, I then said what would Luigi think if Daisy waned to get laid with him. But Seth Rex furthered the question and asked these questions.

* Or what if Daisy gave Luigi some Dino disease? And slowly his insides become Dino?

* OR! What if they did have a kid? and he or she grew up and got de-evolved?! Would he or she be half monkey/dino!

1. Luigi would then technically become a dino decendent.

2. Their child would be the famous HUMOSAURUS! A rare dinosaur that was created by a dinosaur decendent and a human. Their tempers would be very short, their cravings for meat would be off the charts, they would most likely be agressive and egg for fights. If you have a male Humosaurus than just calm him down when he gets angry, provide with what he wants and everything will be fine and dandy.

However I'm afraid God can't save you if you ave a female one. If you think teenage females are a pain then what do you think teenage female Humosaurus' woud be?

3. You can only get de-evovled by a devo machine silly person! :P

4. That is not possible.

I hope those aswers helped you good sir, but now for another question.

* What happens when you evovled an already extremely highly evovled person?

* How many tests did the devo guns and machine go through?

* What would happen if you de-evovle slime and then de-evovle the fog that was the slime?

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm really loving this rapport between you two guys... Lots of great ideas are coming out! You should both definitely consider working on a prequel or sequel fanfiction to the movie together. I think that could turn out pretty cool. :)

1upmushroom wrote:What would happen if you de-evovle slime and then de-evovle the fog that was the slime?

This is just my personal take on it, but I don't think the de-evolution technology necessarily "de-evolves" anything; it simply heavily mutates the subject into a form similar to, but genetically unique from, their ancestral state. I don't know if this is possible even in real life, but I don't believe the technology can "evolve" beings from multi-cell into single-cell organisms.

So, you could never mutate a subject into simpler and simpler life-forms. On some level, it'll always be a complex organism.
Redstar

Postby SethRex » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:57 pm

How many tests did the devo guns and machine go through?

Don't know. Probably beta testing, and that's just the first round of experimentation. Then you have to get the bugs out of the system. God knows what could have happened if they didn't have it right. Maybe explosions of the person's DNA. Speaking of which...if there were tests, how many test dummies do you think they went through before they got it right? :P
SethRex
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby 1upmushroom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 am

SethRex2012 wrote:How many tests did the devo guns and machine go through?

Don't know. Probably beta testing, and that's just the first round of experimentation. Then you have to get the bugs out of the system. God knows what could have happened if they didn't have it right. Maybe explosions of the person's DNA. Speaking of which...if there were tests, how many test dummies do you think they went through before they got it right? :P

How did Koopa even get the testers? Thats more interesting.

"HELP WANTED: Devo Machine Experiment Testers!

All you have to do is be pretty as we test our mahine on you! You get 20 Koopons! (if your alive)"

I just noticed something. This is another analyze thing most of us damn Analyzers use. 8)

Dinohatten is actually a parody of New York life! All the people are ungodly mea, grafiti is everywhere, the cops are corrupt (AKA the cop letting the hot girl rub her foot on his neck), and of course the chaos it produces!

That, or you know, Koopa wanted to make Dinohatten like....New York. :oops:

Yeah, anyway this gave me an idea! How bout a fan fiction of Koopa visiting New York and trying to make dino hatten exactly like New York when he took over! there could be many gags like Koopa ordering what spray cans should grafiti this wall, or how the people should act.

It could be very funny of just how obessed Koopa is with New York that he's literrally replicating it.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby SethRex » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:47 am

that would be some fan fic.
SethRex
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby 1upmushroom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:02 am

Now let's talk about the jumpsuits that Mario and Luigi wear.

There are so many things to analyze here, the big one being why are those jumpsuits colored like that? I mean this at perspective of movie universe. Who thought mixed colored jumpsuits would be a cool fahion, it looks weird. I mean, looking at the other costumes, it really doesn't make any sense.

Considering how the rest of the clothes in dino hatten are spiked, dark and sinister.

Here's my own answer.

Probably, these jumpsuits are used for the slackers or the guys who are in trouble. Its dino hatten's way of teaching them a lesson. When the employee's are doing terrible or making an ass of themself, the high authority makes them wear those jumpsuits and probably does juvinile acts to them, like taking pictures of them in those suits or taking something that's theirs and leads them to a big public area.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Prime Evil » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Where did Mario and Luigi put their clothes when they changed into their jumpsuits?

--Ghostbusters can wear their normal clothes under their flightsuits, so I think the principle stays the same with the Marios. Either that, or they discarded the jackets...those were a disaster.

When the Mario Bros. climb out of the elevator how they got other boots and where they put their stompers has yet to be explained.

--It's a technical goof, although Mario does crash into a Thwomp display...

An explanation of how half the dino world is just desert would be nice.

--They used up that land. They're dinosaurs. The people of the Fertile Crescent did the same all those centuries ago, and that's how it's all desert (the soil, no longer usable, turns to sand).

A variation of the above question is why there is only a dino version of New York and not the entire world.

--Um, AFAIK, New York's where the...rock-point is (can't think of a better term), so it's a safe bet for the Dinohattan-ites to conclude that that's what the whole world looks like (imperfect information).

Why would there be a defungus squad when half the entire city is covered with fungus? The residents are gonna get contaminated with fungus again sine there's so much of it, that squad kinda of pointless.

--Koopa's a germophobe. There's fungus everywhere, but he doesn't want it near him.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby 1upmushroom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:58 pm

That explains why Koopa ain't an outside person. :P

New question:

* Does the evovle part of devo machine actually make you smarter AKA evovled?

* When Iggy and Spike are evovled, it really implies that they're not smarter AKA evovled, they just sound smarter.

If that is true, then maybe Koopa isn't even smart even thoughhe's been evovled to a high degree. Maybe he just sounds smart but is really dumb.

Redstar wrote:This is just my personal take on it, but I don't think the de-evolution technology necessarily "de-evolves" anything; it simply heavily mutates the subject into a form similar to, but genetically unique from, their ancestral state. I don't know if this is possible even in real life, but I don't believe the technology can "evolve" beings from multi-cell into single-cell organisms. So, you could never mutate a subject into simpler and simpler life-forms. On some level, it'll always be a complex organism.

Then Koopa should be hated for false advertising.

I personally believe the Devo Machine is still at a prototype era. For example, like you said Redstar, people don't get de-evovled technically. I say it's possibly a reverse evolution that's taking place. The machine somehow screws with the DNA of the victim, turning them into monsters. Now for the actual evovle feature, well that too is not actually evovlution in a button. I personally believe that it either repairs the DNA of a victim or, it simply enhances very little features in the human mind. Perhaps the features the machine are also at random, usually enchancing whatever it finds.

An example for this is actually a theory. The theory that Koopa tested it on himself. This would explain his paranoia of germs, his no eyebrows and the very line "Wheras my evolution was wonderful and sweet," if this is true, then Koopa must have had eyebrows, and not have been such afraid of germs at one time. So this would support the theory that the machine usually picks random features, thus supporting the theory that the Devo Machine is in fact a prototype!

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Serum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:37 pm

What I want to know is, when Mario and the Brooklyn girls get on the slide on the 51st floor of the Koopa World Trade Center, why does it take them about a hundred and fifty blocks uptown to Koopa Square? Is it really that long? Or is Koopa Square nearer to the towers than we think it is?
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Phlibbit » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:48 pm

I always assumed that the Koopa Square street was either in between the towers, or right next to them. Remember, Koopa's apartment overlooks the street. Still, they called it his "apartment" so that means it may not be in the towers themselves, although many other doors/places connect into that apartment.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Serum » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:02 am

SethRex2012 wrote:an interesting question is:

According to one of the early scripts, it's roughly the size of Manhattan, but Koopa says that because they're living in a "sub-dimension" the air 100 miles outside the city begins to thin, and that there's nothing out there but oblivion. So they would have room to expand the city by a few dozen miles, but they'd be sitting on the bleeding edge of forever if they did.

This probably insinuates that the population of the Mushroom Kingdom is controlled in a similar manner to how the people of China control their population-- through the neutralization and sterilization of many males and the abortions of many women. That would keep the population of a city that can only contain roughly ten million people down below ten million. So for every human on earth, there's something like 0.013 people in the Mushroom Kingdom...

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Phlibbit » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:58 am

I just had this thought today:

Yes, Koopa is a big germophobe. However, what if part of this is because he doesn't want any fungus to get on him? We know that the king/fungus is sentient, so it would make sense that Koopa is always trying to make sure he's sanitized so fungus can't get on him and hurt him in any way.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby 1upmushroom » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Phlibbit wrote:I just had this thought today:

Yes, Koopa is a big germophobe. However, what if part of this is because he doesn't want any fungus to get on him? We know that the king/fungus is sentient, so it would make sense that Koopa is always trying to make sure he's sanitized so fungus can't get on him and hurt him in any way.

I believe Koopa being a germophobe is apart of him being evovled. Notice how he's really different from all the other dino hatten people. I think he's used the devo machine on himself which explains the line "To wheras my evolution was wonderful and sweet". Koopa isn't a weirdo because he's psycotic, he's a weirdo becaue his body is the next form of evolution. This explains not having eyebrows and maybe his crispy hair but that could also be a design choice.

The reason he is a germophobe could be because the germs weaken his body.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby IbanezJFS » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:56 pm

So can someone tell me some of the War Stories that went into this movie?
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Redstar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Could you elaborate on just what, exactly, you're asking?
Redstar

Postby 1upmushroom » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Either he means the Executive Meddling that's happened behind the scenes, or the actual wars that prior before the film began in Dinohatten.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby IbanezJFS » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:52 am

What I mean is basically everything. Like Dennis hopper was only suppose to be on set for 5 weeks. But he ended being there for 17. How the directors didn't know what they were doing. Executives meddling in. The people who quit. Any BS that came from Nintendo you name. But I think the biggest question to is....How did it go from it being a Live Action Mario movie. To in a nutshell a Mario reference movie.
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Serum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 am

I know that one of the directors, Rocky Morton I think, spilled hot coffee on a guy because he didn't like the way the costume he designed looked.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby 1upmushroom » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:07 am

I wouldn't go so fare as to call it a Mario "Reference" as it does retain the Mario formula, has the same 4 main characters, (Mario, Luigi, Princess, and Koopa) and it more or less retains the feel of the games, even if it's darker than usual.

One of the main war stories I remember is that the Executives were forcing the directors to make kid movie while the directors wanted to make the movie more adult oriented, and it (the bickering between the executives and directors) was so bad that the exceutives ended up having most of the content cut, not only to keep a PG rating but also and for time concerns.

Of course they never thought about how much money was spent on the many sets and creatures that would end up all being for nought, they just wanted a quick buck while the directors were at least trying to make a good movie.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:25 am

IbanezJFS wrote:What I mean is basically everything. Like Dennis hopper was only suppose to be on set for 5 weeks. But he ended being there for 17. How the directors didn't know what they were doing. Executives meddling in. The people who quit. Any BS that came from Nintendo you name.

But I think the biggest question to is....How did it go from it being a Live Action Mario movie. To in a nutshell a Mario reference movie.

Have you read any of our interviews? The context in which the film was made really comes together upon reading them. Most of your questions should be answered in doing so.

1upmushroom is the most correct in that the directors wanted to make a more mature take on the property with political and metaphysical themes underlying the entire story while the producers wanted something more lighthearted for general audiences.
Redstar

Postby 1upmushroom » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:46 am

Also just to add another example here, apparently the scripts the cast had gotten were not always all the same script. During production there was supposedly no final draft as the script was constantly getting rewritten and rewritten. It got to the point where some of the cast just said "screw it" and stopped reading the newer ones, which probably lead to some confusion.

Also, another story that's related to a deleted scene that was supposed to happen when the Brothers were in prison, one of the prisoners (whose half reptillian) would be shown smoking a ciggarete. Well if you can believe this that scene had to be shot a lot of times! The actor had to keep smoking ciggarrate after cigarrete and he claimed to be a non-smoker at the time as well!

And let's not forget the infamous de-evolution scene. A scene that basically showed a person de-evolving into slime due to the evlotuion/de-evolution machine. Not only was this scene shot several times, but there were apparently different versions of it, so much so that some people have a hard time figuring out who was de-evoled or even when it happened! Some interviews claimed that it happened before Toad got turned into a goomba, but when Koopa is momentarily de-evolved you can clearly a green puddle, and a goomba suit on the chairs that's being sat on by Koopa.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby IbanezJFS » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:58 pm

I have a theory to this but why where the goombas like 7 feet tall?
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Serum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:07 pm

IbanezJFS wrote:I have a theory to this but why where the goombas like 7 feet tall?

Probably because in reference pictures to the original, 8-bit "Super Mario Bros." when Mario or Luigi don't have a "super mushroom" and are standing next to a Goomba sprite, they look small in comparison.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:04 pm

IbanezJFS wrote:I have a theory to this but why where the goombas like 7 feet tall?

Because a 4-foot tall enemy wouldn't be particularly scary.
Redstar

Postby IbanezJFS » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:10 pm

I KNEW IT!!!! Why was Koopa a human and not a Dragon? And why do you think the Goombas looked quote unquote "Retarded". If you read my thread "SMB Debate". My friend said they looked like retarded reptars (You know from Rugrats). He claims I was making excuses. I say I was answering his questions. And he calls me the Narcissist.
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Serum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Look, your friend is obviously not a fan of the movie. It's his loss. Koopa was a "human" because it's much more practical and the Goombas looked "retarded" because the word "Goomba" is Italian for "idiot."

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby IbanezJFS » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Really? I did not know that. You learn something new everyday. And was the inspiration to have this huge city I saw someone call Dino-Hatten. And instead of the Mushroom Kingdom? Plus why was Big Bertha a human and not a fish and why was the king a fungus?
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Serum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Despite the back of the videos describing the city as "Dinohattan," it's never actually called that in the movie. However, Koopa does refer to the city as a "mushroom kingdom."

And Big Bertha was not a fish because there isn't enough water in the alternate dimension and furthermore it would be silly to have a talking fish in a cyberpunk movie. The king was fungus because Koopa de-evolved him into fungus, presumably in a first attempt at his new technology-- de-evolution and that's the explanation for there being so many mushrooms-- a type of fungus choking the "mushroom kingdom," as Koopa said.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby IbanezJFS » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:04 am

Why did the writers decide to do a city rather then a kingdom?
IbanezJFS
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Serum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:09 am

Well, it was the 1990s. We were into the whole "dystopia" thing back then. People wanted to see gritty stuff, much as they do now, but didn't between the periods of 1999 and 2004. Why do you keep asking stuff about the movie's technical aspects? I thought you were interested in the on-set conflict involved with the making of the film.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:14 am

IbanezJFS wrote:Why did the writers decide to do a city rather then a kingdom?

What's the difference? Is a kingdom not composed of different cities? A kingdom is a political construct, not a geographical area.
Redstar

Postby 1upmushroom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:40 am

Huh, you know most of the questions asked here would be better fit for my SMBA Thread I made a while back.

Plus, wow Serum I actually didn't know that about the italian word for Goomba. I'm telling you these filmmakers knew a lot more than they're letting on.

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:09 am

1upmushroom wrote:Huh, you know most of the questions asked here would be better fit for my SMBA Thread I made a while back.

You're right. The topics have been merged.
Redstar

Postby 1upmushroom » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Redstar wrote:Because a 4-foot tall enemy wouldn't be particularly scary.

Oh, really? Clearly you haven't seen Gremlins! :P

1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Serum » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:31 pm

1upmushroom wrote:

I did, and I didn't feel all that threatened. Now, those dwarves from "Phantasm," that's scary stuff. But as far as the gremlins in "Gremlins" go... meh.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:25 pm

1upmushroom wrote:

It's funny, actually; I was just thinking about how they might have handled 4-foot tall Goombas in the film and Gremlins did come to mind. I think it could have worked!
Redstar

Next

Return to Super Mario Bros.