NEW! Super Mario Bros. - The 20th Anniversary Re-edit

Share artwork, writing and any other works inspired by the movie

NEW! Super Mario Bros. - The 20th Anniversary Re-edit

Postby Happy Russia » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Hey, folks, HR here. In dedication to the 20th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. movie, I began working on a re-cut version back a couple of months ago. Here's the full list of changes I've made.

NEW! Super Mario Bros. List of Changes:

1.) Removal of the opening "dinosaur" sequence and subsequent credits. New title sequence, with lead cast names, created from parts of the original theatrical trailer.

2.) New music added to several scenes:

- Orchestrated version of the classic Mario theme inserted in the, "Mario Bros. Plumbing, no leak too small!" scene.
- Underground theme inserted briefly into Mario & Luigi's infiltration of Koopa's Tower / "plumber's nightmare," scene.
- Orchestrated version of the "Level Complete fanfare" from original SMB replaces Alan Silvestri's original motif when we see Mario & Luigi in their outfits for the first time in the elevator.
- Underwater theme replaces "Somewhere, My Love," as the elevator / dancing Goomba music in said sequence.
- Heroic fanfare from Super Smash Bros. Melee inserted into the Goomba barracks rescue when Mario swings from the light and kicks the Goomba.
- Intro of "The Evil King Bowser," from Super Mario World inserted before de-evolved Koopa emerges.
- Orchestrated, edited version of "Peach's Castle," (arranged Mario theme) from Super Smash Bros. Melee replaces Alan Silvestri's score in the celebration scene after Koopa's death.
- Entire end credits are re-scored featuring an arranged version of the Mario theme, the Mario rap from The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, "The Grand Parade" from Super Mario World, and the Super Smash Bros. Melee theme as the closing.

3.) Conversation between Luigi & Daisy, after dinner, shortened by a few minutes. Removes odd dialogue.

4.) "Mario Mario, Luigi Mario," scene in police station edited, shortened.

5.) Toad's de-evolution scene re-edited, rearranged.

6.) Prison escape sequence shortened and re-edited. Police car chase shortened and re-edited, infamous "no brakes" line removed.

7.) Mud bath scene shortened, unnecessary lines removed. Lena & Daisy scene re-edited to include prologue with Daisy's mother as a flashback of how she died.

8.) Childish insults between Luigi, Iggy & Spike removed to keep expository dialogue flowing.

9.) Iggy & Spike's de-evolution scene re-edited to create a bait-and-switch.

10.) Jump sound effects added to Thwomp Stompers upon launch.

11.) All occurrences of "Koopa Pizza" joke completely removed.

12.) Barracks rescue scene re-edited. Mario given trademark, "It's-a me, Mario," line.

13.) New shot of Mario from theatrical trailer inserted into bridge show-off between Mario and Koopa. Final battle against Koopa re-edited.

14.) "Super Koopa Cousins" scene inserted between credits instead of at the very end.

15.) New sound effects:

- Fireball sound effects added to all flamethrowers, Thwomp landing sound effects added to fireball impacts.
- Jump sound effects added to Thwomp Stompers launching.
- Super Mario World bounce sound effect added when Mario bounces off the fungus trampoline.
- Stomp sound effect added to Mario kicking Goomba over during barracks scene.
- Koopa shell kick sound effects added to falling Goombas punched by Koopa.
- New sound effects for Devo Gun discharges.
- Item box growing sound added when Koopa fires at the mushroom, causing it to grow.
- P-Meter sound added when Big Bertha lifts and carries old lady.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 throwing sound effect added when Big Bertha throws old lady. Also added when Mario throws the mushroom.
- Bob-Omb jibber from Super Mario 64 added before detonation.
- Bowser roars from Mario Kart 64, as well as new roars and growls added to final Koopa battle.

So that's everything in my new re-edit. This was done as a total labor of love for this film, and my love for the Mario franchise.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT (March 18th, 2013): The FINAL cut, as well as the Italian Final cut, are now live!

New! Super Mario Bros. - The Final Cut

New! Super Mario Bros. - The ITALIAN Final Cut

"Hey! You lookin' for this?"
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Re: NEW! Super Mario Bros. - The 20th Anniversary Re-edit

Postby 1upmushroom » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 am

While this list does make me extremely intrigued and excited to see your new cut I just gotta ask, how are you going to make Bob Hoskins say "It's a me, Mario"? Please don't tell me you're gonna include a clip from the actual games?!
Isn't this a little feminine?

Yes. I know. It was my ex wife's.

But you wear this stuff?!

Yeah on an occasion we have a date.
1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Happy Russia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 am

Haha, no, not at all. I knew that the old-world style of Charles Martinet would never work. So, I recorded myself saying the iconic line. I gruffed my voice a bit, whispered the line, and it fits in pretty well. I'm never one to toot my own horn. I know I don't sound like Bob Hoskins. Well, I could if I weren't whispering lines perhaps, but the point is that it's a line that'll be faintly heard.

So whether I sound exactly like Bob Hoskins or not is beside the point, since he's trying to whisper and be sneaky. You'll hear the line when he's trying to get Daniella's attention, and you see him mouth, "It's me!" Well, as I said, instead of dead silence, you'll faintly hear, "It's me, Mario!"
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Serum » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:06 am

I'm sorry, I can't say I approve of any of these changes, with maybe the exception of the removal of the opening narration. Adding music and sound effects from the games, changing dialogue for 'pacing' and adding the "it's-a me Mario" thing and the re-editing the post-credits scene to being in the middle of the credits all seems to be in a very modern style that takes away from the charm of the 1993 movie's quality.

To be perfectly honest, I really don't like the sound of this at all, but, you do what you want to do if you think you're doing it right, if for no other reason because it's a good exercise in film-editing. But all-in-all, I really don't think it's a good idea. The thing I liked about the movie was that it wasn't like the games in the way people thought it would be. Because, honestly, I'm not really a huge fan of the games, I just liked the movie.
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Redstar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Love the changes! As we discussed previously, I actually attempted a similar project several years ago, which can be seen HERE. There appears to be some crossover in what we decided to cut, which I appreciate.

Can't say I'm not somewhat apprehensive about the game sound additions, though, but I do trust your judgement and will see how well they immerse into the film. Looking forward to seeing this released!
Redstar
Finally seen the Dark Knight trilogy

Postby JayOfSuburbia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Look I made it even better in way less time with even less content!

There was this one time when I was in a coffee shop and I killed a cricket. Then this old guy yelled at me. What an asshole.
JayOfSuburbia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Happy Russia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Serum wrote:To be perfectly honest, I really don't like the sound of this at all, but, you do what you want to do if you think you're doing it right, if for no other reason because it's a good exercise in film-editing. But all-in-all, I really don't think it's a good idea. The thing I liked about the movie was that it wasn't like the games in the way people thought it would be. Because, honestly, I'm not really a huge fan of the games, I just liked the movie.

Being the early 90's, I'm surprised that the film wasn't closer in tone to the games. It was a more light-hearted time in terms of cinema and video games. Modern video-game-to-film adaptations these days are far too seriously toned and poorly executed. Granted, most adaptations from the last ten years have been of games that are grim and violent. The original 1993 film would've fit today's bleakness. The 90's were a more innocent time, therefore an attempt at lightening the film and making it feel like what it was meant to be. This isn't a practice in professional film editing. This is by no means professional, this is done out of my love for the Mario franchise and wanting an experience that felt like the Mario Bros.

With all due respect, it sounds as if I've outright offended you. The original is, by no means, a perfect film. It is very flawed, and regardless, I love it. But it is out of these flaws that I hope to make a version of this film that at least I can call a more cohesive and satisfying vision.
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Phlibbit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Although I agree with some of the criticisms some of you have brought up towards some of the edits HR has included, first and foremost, I think he needs to be applauded for providing us with SMB's first legit fan-edit.

And now, here are my two Koopa coins on the matter. :)

As far as negatives go, replacing parts of the score and the addition of the sound effects is what will tarnish this edit the most, I fear. Unless the changes are subtle and within the tone and boundaries set within the world the film presents, it won't come off as genuine. As we've discussed on some other threads, I think using any music that was made post-1993 just won't fit. Not to mention that Silvestri's score is arguably one of the best parts of the film, even though a lot of the classic Mario themes aren't present.

Same goes with the sound effects. Some of the changes you've listed I think will work just fine, others...probably not. IMO, there are plenty of places that game sound effects would work--as long as it's on something technological and it's subtle. Then again, take a look at how at one point in the film, they actually have Yoshi say his name. It's extremely subtle, but it's done well and references the games somewhat. It all comes down to the implementation, really. That's why I think the way the film references the games is so brilliant--it's not overkill. That way, when you do catch a game reference, it's that much more special.

On the positive side, I'm much more interested in what scenes you've altered in the film. When I interviewed David L. Snyder, he said that "lifting" the bad and superfluous parts of the film would make it better overall. That looks like what you're trying to do here. Some of the changes (specifically 3, 4, and 6) I'd rather stay in, but I think that's mostly personal preference. I think moving the prologue with Daisy's mother could be very interesting. The film was very front-loaded as is, so that might be a good change. And rearranging some things to make Iggy and Spike even smarter? Very nice.

All in all, I'm very excited to see this re-edit for myself. From the looks of it, you've put a good amount of time into it! Can't wait!

Happy Russia wrote:
Serum wrote:I'm sorry, I can't say I approve of any of these changes, with maybe the exception of the removal of the opening narration. Adding music and sound effects from the games, changing dialogue for 'pacing' and adding the "it's-a me Mario" thing and the re-editing the post-credits scene to being in the middle of the credits all seems to be in a very modern style that takes away from the charm of the 1993 movie's quality.

With all due respect, it sounds as if I've outright offended you.

Don't you worry about Serum. Being offended is part of his job description :)
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby 1upmushroom » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 pm

My only problem is that there's a big chance the cut will look...shoddy. I'm not dissing for your editing skills since I haven't seen any of your work but most of the changes you've listed have a risk of being poorly done. I've tried it, it's very difficult to make edits to an already published film. For example, the daisy's mother scene includes credits. Meaning you can't use those bits with the credits unless you want it to be kind of shoddy.

But overall, I am certainly on board with this and can't air for you to release it.
Isn't this a little feminine?

Yes. I know. It was my ex wife's.

But you wear this stuff?!

Yeah on an occasion we have a date.
1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Happy Russia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 pm

1upmushroom wrote:My only problem is that there's a big chance the cut will look...shoddy. I'm not dissing for your editing skills since I haven't seen any of your work but most of the changes you've listed have a risk of being poorly done. I've tried it, it's very difficult to make edits to an already published film. For example, the daisy's mother scene includes credits. Meaning you can't use those bits with the credits unless you want it to be kind of shoddy.

But overall, I am certainly on board with this and can't air for you to release it.

The important parts, of the Daisy's mother scene, that remain contain no credits. It's a quick flashback and you get the idea of what's happening, especially with Lena describing what happened "when Koopa took over."

Also, "shoddy?" Well, maybe. Probably. Most likely, because the original picture quality doesn't hold up well on a large, HD screen. As far as chopping up scenes for pacing's sake, and taking out unnecessary lines, I made sure to be very precise. This was the part that took the longest, because I didn't want there to be sudden cut-offs, or sounds suddenly dropping and a new one jumping in. It was certainly difficult in the devo chamber scene, but it came out better than I expected and I'm very satisfied with it.

Also, I can always go back and fix anything. While I'll be releasing, to you guys, a "final" edit... I can always go back, especially after hearing your input. It'd be better for me to hear the input of fellow fans of the movie to chime in on what works and what doesn't. Like I said, this isn't a professional or perfect fan edit, it's a labor of love. So if there's anything you see or hear in my re-edit, I'd be happy to collaborate with all of you to make the necessary changes. With our combined input and ideas, then will we have a better fan edit for all of us.

Phlibbit wrote:Although I agree with some of the criticisms some of you have brought up towards some of the edits HR has included, first and foremost, I think he needs to be applauded for providing us with SMB's first legit fan-edit.

Also, I'm rather surprised to hear that this is what you consider SMB's first legitimate fan-edit. I honestly thought there would've been more, like in the vein of every Star Wars fan-edits you see out there. Then again, being the first, certainly won't mean best.
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Redstar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:35 am

Happy Russia wrote:Also, I can always go back and fix anything. While I'll be releasing, to you guys, a "final" edit... I can always go back, especially after hearing your input. It'd be better for me to hear the input of fellow fans of the movie to chime in on what works and what doesn't. Like I said, this isn't a professional or perfect fan edit, it's a labor of love. So if there's anything you see or hear in my re-edit, I'd be happy to collaborate with all of you to make the necessary changes. With our combined input and ideas, then will we have a better fan edit for all of us.

It's appreciated that our perspectives will be taken into consideration. I do trust your judgement when it comes to most of these cuts and additions, but if anything does stand out too much I'll be sure to say so. It's a very promising project.

Phlibbit wrote:
Happy Russia wrote:With all due respect, it sounds as if I've outright offended you.

Don't you worry about Serum. Being offended is part of his job description :)

Serum can be very zealous when it comes to his interests, in particular the film. Don't take it personally... We all love him for it! :P
Redstar

Postby Serum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:56 pm

JayOfSuburbia wrote:Look I made it even better in way less time with even less content!

Thank you, Jay. I don't know why, but this actually makes me feel a little better.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby MrGoomba909 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Here's My own input on what should be done; I'll list my opinions on each of the changes you said you would try.
------------------
NEW! Super Mario Bros. List of Changes:
1.) I'm For this, Makes sense... No real problem.
2.) I really don't like this idea at all; It would probably cause the most damage to the original... Tarnishing it the most.
3.) Depends on what Exactly is to be removed... I know one or two things could make sense, but doing an entire edit of it might ruin it a bit.
4.) No, Mario Mario scene is great.
5.) Again, depends on What you are going to be editing of it
6.) That was one of the BEST parts of the movie; why shorten the best action scene?
7.) That would be Great, It would add much needed clarification.
8.) I thought that added a bit of charm... although it was "Uneccesary"...
9.) ... Why?
10.) No... Why does this need a catagory of it's own? You couldn't've put this in with #15?
11.) NO. BY ALL MEANS NO. THAT WAS THE BEST RUNNING JOKE EVER *rage*
12.) meh... I see No real reason why...
13.) That would be nice.
14.) That would be awesome.
15.) Same as #2, I think Changing sounds would tarnish the film the most.
-----------
I see no real reason why you want to change THAT much.. I think you need to focus on editing less OUT and editing more IN; Take some cut footage and Splice it IN rather than Removing most of what we alreay have.
Also, When will it be ready anyway?

EDIT: Resizing and Typo Fix
I think It's time to become more active in this site...
MrGoomba909
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Happy Russia » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm

MrGoomba909 wrote:Also, When will it be ready anyway?

Funny you should ask, as I have the youtube link right here:

As for adding more IN... there's no possible way of doing that without filming entirely new sequences. Any deleted or alternate footage is either from the trailers and tv spots, which are of HORRIBLE quality, or we don't have any access to it at all. Removing the pizza joke was almost necessary, if not not of the more important things to remove entirely. There were far funnier lines said by other characters, and even by Koopa himself. That gag was just stupid.

Also, the Iggy & Spike "de-evolution" scene needed to be changed up a bit. Why would they be so scared if we see that the switch is being changed to "evolve?" What small bit of mystery would be there in the scene if that little cutaway remains? Spike's scared because he thinks he's being punished, so let the audience think that as well. Then when he re-emerges from the machine, un-changed, the surprise comes to us as much as it does to Iggy.

Also, having authentic Mario music, orchestral of course, added to the film makes it feel like it's a Mario movie. Yeah, I know, some of you hate that. And the great thing is? The old one still exists! So you can down-vote my video as much as you want and watch the old one to your heart's content. All these changes were what I wanted to see out of a failed attempt at a Mario movie.
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Serum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Happy Russia wrote:All these changes were what I wanted to see out of a failed attempt at a Mario movie.

I don't think it's a failed attempt at a Mario movie, the original 1993 movie as it is on its own, I mean. Now, as many people on the board will tell you, I'm a fanatic about the film-- down to the point of being a bigot about it. It's my all-time favorite film, and I know you're trying to do something creative, but I do not and cannot ethically condone any of the changes you're making, as they're all quasi-retroactive, adding in references to games that wouldn't come out for several years, some for decades. The movie, as it is, and the mythical "2 and a quarter hour cut" are the pinnacle of 1990s filmmaking-- they represent a time in the life of people who born in the era I was born in and they should remain that way.

I have no problem with adding in the lost-footage, should it ever be found. I do have a problem with people constantly complaining that the movie doesn't reflect the games-- well it's not supposed to. It reflects the people who played the games of that era. It's not a movie about duplicating the nonexistent "plots" of the original games, but rather recreating the spirit of the kids who sat around in the 1990s, playing Nintendo, Sega and Atari, reading the old Nintendo Power magazines, visiting Electronics Boutiques at the local shopping malls in the days of Bill Clinton's America. The movie means a lot of different things, and that's what it means to me.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Happy Russia » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:45 pm

I was a child when this movie came out. I was a child of Bill Clinton's America. I went to Funcoland and EB, I obsessively toiled through Toys R' Us's old video game sections looking for SNES games that I didn't have. I was about four or five, and wondered what on earth this movie had to do with Mario Bros. Now, I can see all the homages they had in it, and as for adding references to the other games as I've added? The music and sound effects are only FROM the original three games, as well as Super Mario World, which came out in 1991. The next game, at that point in 1993, wouldn't come out for another three years, and the only things referenced from that are incidental sound effects that people know now to be synonymous with Mario. The only music from a future Mario-based game only occurs once in my version, and in the credits.

Anyone can be be fanatics about any film. It's why I hated the new 2009 Star Trek film. It's why I own every VHS box set of the original Star Wars trilogy. And it's also why I thought that this movie should've lived to up to my childhood's expectation of a Mario movie. It's not gonna be for everyone, and I've personally learned that when bemoaning the new Star Trek films coming out, or the gazillion changes Lucas made to Star Wars. So take it as it is: A FAN-EDIT.

Am I some big-wig Disney exec who wants to have this as the official blu-ray release or something? No! This is my creation, made for me and my friends, and whoever may be interested enough to take a look. If it's not your cup of tea, then it's not your cup of tea. Just please don't go off as if I've gone and personally offended you. If anything, I feel a bit offended that my opinion, and fan-edit (that I made for MYSELF), aren't good enough for you. But thanks for your input! :D
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Serum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 am

Fair enough, agree to disagree.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:37 am

Happy Russia wrote:If anything, I feel a bit offended that my opinion, and fan-edit (that I made for MYSELF), aren't good enough for you.

Agreed. We all know of Serum's extreme stance on the film but that doesn't mean it needs to be defended to this degree in every thread. Especially ones where someone is trying to do something inventive and creative :)

On a related note, I'm watching the re-edit now! I'll post my thoughts when I finish.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Redstar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 am

Glad to see it up! I'll give it a watch soon and voice my own opinion as well. :P
Redstar

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:50 am

-I didn't like having "It's a me, Mario!" at the beginning. It signals Martinet's "new era" voice and doesn't really represent the Mario of that time. Something that might work better is a little short intro using the game sprites--and there's precedent for that as there's at least one of the commercials for the film did that very thing.

-The redone "Super Mario Bros." intro was pretty cool! It starts the film out with a bang and gets the pace going quickly, without the "explain the entire backstory" baggage.

-Whoa, I LOVED the way you integrated a very subtle version of the SMB theme in the background of the first scene between Mario and Luigi, and how it PERFECTLY synced up with the following scene with Luigi driving the van. It's kind of a double-edged sword though...although this shows me that some game-inspired score cues could have worked in the film, I actually did find it distracting because I was humming along with the music and not paying attention! But yeah, this worked much better than expected.

-Didn't really like the "pipe warp" sound as Luigi entered the portal, but I don't think that's really your fault. Got me thinking--what if the sound designers came up with something very subtle that sounded like the "glug glug glug" sound? Similar to the game sound but more "rocky" or something.

-I kinda miss having an introduction for Koopa until 22 minutes into the film. Luckily what's currently in the film was rearranged and dubbed to be a quick and concise RE-introduction, so it still works here with what you've changed.

-Sound effects on Big Bertha tossing the old lady: I could take it or leave it. Good catch though--Silvestri's score already sounds pretty close to the sound effect there!

-Man, it would be nice if there was a way for you to incorporate the rest (or some of the rest) of Mojo Nixon's "Anti-Koopa" song. Over some extra wide shots of Dinohattan or something.

-Didn't mind the truncated "Mario Mario/Luigi Mario" scene.

-I did miss "Are we dead?"

-Maybe you could take out the "yeah" part of when Mario says, "yeah, Tension." Might flow better if he just responds with a straight answer to Toad.

-Some good ideas present in the reworked de-evolution scene. The faster pace gives the scene an even more urgent feel, and I liked the extra cut of the devo tech flipping the switch to "de-evolve" for the Marios.

-Didn't care for the sound when the flamethrowers are fired, but I really enjoyed the added sound when the fireball hits the wall.

-Yep, the flow is better without the "there ARE no brakes!" line.

-To make Spike seem smarter, you could've corrected his poor math skills :)

-I really liked the way you integrated the prologue with Daisy's mother into a flashback. Heck, you could even add an ominous shot of Devo 4 when Daisy asks about her father. That could be cool.

-Also, maybe you could try extending the shot in that flashback before cutting back to Daisy. If you see the nun hold up the rock first, it might give it a little more weight because when you flash back to Daisy in the present, she's feeling around her neck for a crystal pendant that isn't there anymore.

More thoughts to come!
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Happy Russia » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:55 am

Phlibbit wrote:-I didn't like having "It's a me, Mario!" at the beginning. It signals Martinet's "new era" voice and doesn't really represent the Mario of that time. Something that might work better is a little short intro using the game sprites--and there's precedent for that as there's at least one of the commercials for the film did that very thing.

Understandable. And now that I think about it, it seems redundant because you'll hear Martinet at the very end of the credits with, "See you next time!" Signifying that the next time we do see Mario, it'll be with Charles Martinet playing him.

-Whoa, I LOVED the way you integrated a very subtle version of the SMB theme in the background of the first scene between Mario and Luigi, and how it PERFECTLY synced up with the following scene with Luigi driving the van. It's kind of a double-edged sword though...although this shows me that some game-inspired score cues could have worked in the film, I actually did find it distracting because I was humming along with the music and not paying attention! But yeah, this worked much better than expected.

It wasn't the intention to distract, but I'm glad it worked out for you.

-Didn't really like the "pipe warp" sound as Luigi entered the portal, but I don't think that's really your fault. Got me thinking--what if the sound designers came up with something very subtle that sounded like the "glug glug glug" sound? Similar to the game sound but more "rocky" or something.

I wish I could come up with some new kind of sound effect. I felt that if the sound was echoey and distorted a bit, it would make it work, but I understand your point.

-Sound effects on Big Bertha tossing the old lady: I could take it or leave it. Good catch though--Silvestri's score already sounds pretty close to the sound effect there!

-Didn't care for the sound when the flamethrowers are fired, but I really enjoyed the added sound when the fireball hits the wall.

I incorporated the sounds because the film takes place, more or less, in a more fantastical universe than our own. I'd be more than happy to either soften the sounds more, or remove them entirely, if more people wish it.

-Man, it would be nice if there was a way for you to incorporate the rest (or some of the rest) of Mojo Nixon's "Anti-Koopa" song. Over some extra wide shots of Dinohattan or something.

It'd be really fun to do, I'll definitely consider that! :)

-I did miss "Are we dead?"

I felt that the scared look on Bob Hoskins' face sold the humor enough without saying anything at all, but to each his own.

-Maybe you could take out the "yeah" part of when Mario says, "yeah, Tension." Might flow better if he just responds with a straight answer to Toad.

Easy enough to fix, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

-Some good ideas present in the reworked de-evolution scene. The faster pace gives the scene an even more urgent feel, and I liked the extra cut of the devo tech flipping the switch to "de-evolve" for the Marios.

I reworked the scene to make Luigi's lines, at least, make more sense, as well as adding some subtle menace to the Goombas. Instead of saying that they're "stupid," I'd rather have the audience watch how stupid they are later on, i.e. the elevator scene.

-I really liked the way you integrated the prologue with Daisy's mother into a flashback. Heck, you could even add an ominous shot of Devo 4 when Daisy asks about her father. That could be cool.

I'll look into trying that.

-Also, maybe you could try extending the shot in that flashback before cutting back to Daisy. If you see the nun hold up the rock first, it might give it a little more weight because when you flash back to Daisy in the present, she's feeling around her neck for a crystal pendant that isn't there anymore.

The last shot of the crystal in the prologue, sadly, has credits in the way. So, because of that, I kept in the shot of Daisy's mom inserting the crystal into the egg pod.
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby MrGoomba909 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:40 pm

This was VERY interesting... now that I've finished watching it. I liked the reworked Koopa Battle, And alot of the added music actually works pretty well. Although I still don't like the Underwater theme in the elevator, and some of the Sound Effects are a bit annoying. I also wasn't a big fan of the end credit mix... (Get that Smash bros song out of there! I mean, I like smash bros, but it Just doesn't go...)

Overall, I feel that with a little bit of more work, This could be even Better! Of course, To make it the way that I would want, I would require more re-editing... It would make more sense to just begin from scratch.

Maybe that will be a future project for me... O_o

Regardless, It was a MUCH better re-edit then I imagined.
I think It's time to become more active in this site...
MrGoomba909
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby ultimateemail5000 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:15 am

I just watched some of it but I'm sorry I just can't. I agree with serum on this. But good job on going through with the project.
ultimateemail5000
No Leak Too Small

Postby Serum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:49 am

ultimateemail5000 wrote:I just watched some of it but I'm sorry I just can't. I agree with serum on this.

Thank you.

Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Happy Russia » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:But good job on going through with the project.

I appreciate the sentiment. I did this out of my love for the entire Mario franchise, and for this movie. I said before that I love this movie regardless, and what I did to it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Even in its original form, Super Mario Bros. is a far superior video game adaptation than anything that came after it. The only other video game movies I love as much as it are the first Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter.
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Redstar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Do you have any interest in sharing this to the FanEdit.org website? I'm sure it'd get some notice there, especially as the first fan-cut for the film.

Also, if you plan on working on this project more we can provide the Swedish release of the film, which has superior picture quality.
Redstar

Postby Happy Russia » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:13 pm

I'd appreciate a version with better quality, and upon using such, I'd be more than happy to take some of your opinions and putting them into use.
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Amethyst Dreams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 am

Wow! Great project. The movie definitely has room for improvement. It may have its brilliant moments, but it also has things that just make you smirk. Jokes that fall flat. This edit fixes a lot of those issues. :)
Amethyst Dreams
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Clous » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 pm

I also have to jump in and state how great an idea this is. It only goes to show how much different the film could be if it received an official recut. Even just removing some of the extraneous material goes a long way towards improving the overall experience. :)
Clous
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Redstar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Nice to see a few more people still interested in this project! You've done great work, Happy Russia. Hopefully we can see further revisions of this edit.

Also, I've privately messaged you the Swedish release of the film. Improved picture quality for the best experience! :P
Redstar

Postby ToolMan93 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 am

I don't think that (this is my humble opinion remember) the film needed to be changed at all.
However, I am absolutely amazed by this Fan Made DVD Artwork I see right before my eyes on the top of the page. This is what the Official DVD Packaging should look like!
ToolMan93
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Happy Russia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Well, thanks to Redstar, I now have the Swedish DVD version of the Super Mario Bros. movie. What does that mean? That means better picture quality! So, what that also entails is that some smaller shots that I removed in my initial re-edit will be re-included into the finished film.

Shots -- such as the car pileup after the little old lady gets tossed; car crashes during the police chase; and the neon sign exploding during the final battle -- will be back in the movie. They had to be removed because of an odd frame rate drop in those particular scenes. The Swedish dvd version is vastly superior to the version I used. So look for an update coming soon!
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Happy Russia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 pm

This next cut, using the Swedish dvd version of the film, is coming along nicely and is nearly complete. Many of the game sound effects have been lowered, resulting in a less distracting loudness from them, so they sound more in-place. Certain shots cut out from the previous version have also been restored, thanks to the superior quality of the film I have now. Re-edited sequences also seem better done this time around, and there's a more natural flow between the new cuts, with the audio not suddenly jumping from new cut to new cut as what may have happened before.
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby Clous » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Awesome! I'm glad you're using the video game sounds more judiciously this time. They have the potential to enhance the experience of the film, but only when used where appropriate. It's just a matter of knowing when that is. Keep up the good work!
Clous
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Metroidan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:16 pm

Glad to see a better quality cut being made. The film just watches better when the picture is as good as it can get. Combining that with a recut should do wonders for the experience.
Metroidan
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby incognitus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:57 pm

I just watched it, and i'm loving it!
Millions of years of climbing up from the ooze, instantly reversed. Imagine the horror as it all slips away. It's worse than mere death. It's being undone
incognitus
EVERYBODEH'S GOT TAP WATAH

Postby Happy Russia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:00 am

Just giving another quick heads-up on the progress. Sound effects have been lessened, and instead of being barraged by the constant "BLUCK"-ing of fireballs in every action sequence, or the constant "SPROING"-ing of the Thwomp Stompers, you'll have to keep your ears out for certain sound effects dropped more discreetly here and there, giving an easter egg feel to them.
"Give it to me."
"BAH-HAHA!"

"Monkey!"

Happy Russia
Loyal, Lethal and Stupid

Postby ultimateemail5000 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:23 am

I appreciate you lessening the degree of your changes. While I didn't agree with the concept before I can safely say that I'm now more comfortable with it. Good job, man.
ultimateemail5000
No Leak Too Small

Postby Movieguy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

This version is far better put together then mine.
My videos were fun and all, but I didn't really re edit most of the film. I just added music and sounds and cut out the cartoon intro.

I am looking forward to seeing what this version as well.

I really liked the stuff you added and the fanfare at the end was great.
Yours was really far more subtle.
Movieguy
Nobody Touches My Tools

Postby Redstar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:21 am

The Italian cut could be a good model for a re-cut. The Italian release of the film removes the final scenes of Daisy's father regenerating and the sequel hook, ending the film right after the Koopa square celebration.

Furthermore, it features a completely new credits sequences featuring scenes from the film with Satriani's Speed of Light rather than Roxette's Almost Unreal. Removing those final scenes would do a lot towards improving the film's pacing.

if you could get a hold of this release you might be able to splice the ending credits onto the Swedish release for a far better experience. Just something to consider.
Redstar

Next

Return to Fan Media