ERTL Toy Line Discussion

Discuss all Super Mario Bros. Movie-related merchandise here.

ERTL Toy Line Discussion

Postby Zack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:39 pm

MODERATOR'S NOTICE: This topic was created from discussions split from the former "Official SMB Merchandise Thread" (now Assorted Merchandise Discussion).

pretty scary actually lol

I have also my childhood Mario and Luigi with paint scuffed up all over missing their belts, I remember my brother had a Luigi variant that had lighter brown hair. Weird! I wish I could have the Police car and the Devo playset though I hope to make a playset of it myself one day though its probably another project I won't get done any time soon. :D
"What single celled organism did you evolve from?"
Zack
Fried Tweeter--Only 20 Koopons

Re: ERTL Toy Line Discussion

Postby Prime Evil » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:12 pm

All I've ever owned from this movie are the original VHS, the official DVD, and all the figures, most of whom have been lost to the Void in my closet...sad, but that's what happens when you find other things to enjoy.

Never owned the police car--though I think I saw it in FAO Schwarz once--or the Devo Chamber. However, judging from an image of the box art in Tomart's Action Figure Guide, I can safely conjecture that the Chamber is a patch on the He-Man/Masters of the Universe Slime Pit, but with an "exchange chamber" added so that you can turn your action figures into Goombas...as a matter of fact, I believe the playset came with an exclusive Snake Goomba (the one with goggles/blinders on). It also featured a pair of pipe-cannons that fired missiles.

I was always disappointed that the figures' weapons failed to work after 2-3 days of playing with them, y'know?

...Anybody want to scan the back of the action-figure packages? I'm coming on a bit nostalgic for those fake newspaper headlines.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Zack » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Well after some debating on whether or not I should take the plunge(plumber pun not intended) I found a Devo Chamber playset on ebay Buy it now for $25. After shipping it's about $32, in the box. Should have it within a week. Hope to have great pics and maybe a video.

Figured sure what the hell, why not. Especially since the only other one I have ever seen for sale, was on a toy website for $80! We'll see how this goes! :D
Zack

Postby Phlibbit » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:11 am

Ah sounds great! I would've sold you one of mine. Actually, I may sell some of my cwazy duplicates of stuff once I get organized into the new house and all.

And making a video sounds really cool. It's a fantastic idea--one that would be great on the eventual "Merchandise" section of the site. Kind of like a video explanation/review of the cooler stuff.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Zack » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:33 am

yeah? Didn't know you had more than one lol still can't wait to see all your stuff after that awesome tease you showed lol you're killin us :lol: but I know you're busy movin and now with your computer problems. Things have been admittedly a bit dead here.
Zack

Postby Prime Evil » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:52 pm

Zack wrote:Well after some debating on whether or not I should take the plunge(plumber pun not intended) I found a Devo Chamber playset on ebay Buy it now for $25. After shipping it's about $32, in the box. Should have it within a week. Hope to have great pics and maybe a video.

Figured sure what the hell, why not. Especially since the only other one I have ever seen for sale, was on a toy website for $80! We'll see how this goes! :D

Good job there! Now we can uncover the mystery...
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Zack » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 pm

ahh looks like I may have to wait to get it until Monday or Tues. The anticipation is killing me. Okay it says "new in box only removed to take pics" and everything is still in the plastic, the fact that the pics don't really show everything is making me a little nervous, probably for nothing but hopefully everything is there. Seems he'd notice to point that out since there's not a whole lot to it and he'd notice if bright yellow pipe pieces weren't there :D

I'm probably worrying for nothing but can't wait!
Zack

Postby Zack » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:14 pm

Had a blast putting it "together" and putting the stickers on it :D I know I know. I'm one of those guys that just has to do it, maybe more pics and eventually I hope to do a video.

Zack

Postby Zack » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 am

Not me. I was like a kid on Christmas opening it up :lol: That reminds me I'm gonna take a few more pictures later in better light and hopefully do a video of some of the features when I get some time.
Zack

Postby Serum » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:19 am

That's a slightly different Goomba figure than the regular ones, isn't it? Interesting.
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Prime Evil » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Yep. It's a special-edition Snake Goomba, packaged *only* with the Devo Chamber.

RE: Zack

Well, I congratulate you on your find, but might I suggest not using the flash when you go to take a picture of a glossy/shiny box? Try a very well-lit room instead. With that said, though, you've done us a great service by showing us how this thing works. If I may give my analysis, the Devo Chamber's internal mechanism seems to be based on the one used for Kenner's Batman vehicles, specifically the Bruce Wayne-to-Batman Custom Coupe--you put the Bruce Wayne figure in the car, pull on the spoiler, and a Batman figure comes out, the car going into "fighter mode" as well. There's also a trace of the MOTU Slime Pit in there, with the "fungus".
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Zack » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Here's a fun one :D

It's times like this I wish they made more figures, especially Toad.
Zack

Postby ultimateemail5000 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Zack wrote:Here's a fun one :D

It's times like this I wish they made more figures, especially Toad.

That is awesome.
ultimateemail5000
No Leak Too Small

Postby Prime Evil » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:48 pm

In before "Someone blows their nose and now you want to keep it?".
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Zack » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:26 am

Here's the last pic probably, good shot of the whole thing

video to come sooner than later :D
Zack

Postby Prime Evil » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:40 am

Good luck on the video, Zack. Just remember, you have to think like a magician on Masters of Illusion when you're doing it. First perform the trick and wow the crowd, then reveal in painstaking detail the mechanics of how the trick is accomplished.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Phlibbit » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Here's something I think would've been cool:

Does anyone remember those cool Power Rangers toys (from the original series) where they would have the costume on, except for the head, and there would be a button on the back where you could press and their head would instantly switch into the helmet?

Well, the SMB figures could have head alternate heads like that, activated by the Devo Chamber. Toad could've changed into a Goomba. Mario/Luigi could've changed into monkeys or something. And the coolest thing--Koopa could transform into the reptilian form seen briefly at the end of the film.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby incognitus » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:13 pm

always wanted to have something like this
Millions of years of climbing up from the ooze, instantly reversed. Imagine the horror as it all slips away. It's worse than mere death. It's being undone
incognitus
EVERYBODEH'S GOT TAP WATAH

Postby marioblaster » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:11 am

ultimateemail5000 wrote:Dude, if I had that playset, I would totally stop motion the meltdown scene, re-animating it, AGAIN.

It would then have to be done like an episode of Robot Chicken! Haha.

Luigi: Ectoplasmic residue! I...I...don't believe it...it's the real thing!
Mario: ...Boos!
Luigi: You're right! I'll...I'll go get the vaccum cleaner.
Papercut 2 Feature Film A Studio Sandman Production Studio Sandman
marioblaster
They say it's "dog"

Postby ultimateemail5000 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:46 pm

I say we donate our Mario figures to Robot Chicken, that team makes fun of anything past and present, I bet somewhere on their list the Mario movie is there.
ultimateemail5000
No Leak Too Small

Postby Zack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm gonna pass, I really don't need them and they're in the UK, but if anyone is interested, these two beauties are on ebay..

Zack

Postby ultimateemail5000 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Zack wrote:I'm gonna pass, I really don't need them and they're in the UK, but if anyone is interested, these two beauties are on ebay..

Any chance of a link with that?
ultimateemail5000
No Leak Too Small

Postby Zack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Zack

Postby Serum » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Damn, that's a little out of my price range, though I am curious, did the actors from the movie voice their doll-counterparts?
KOOPA THE SPORTSMAN (Level 2)

General risk of Troll Attacks.
Serum
No Leak Too Small

Postby Zack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:41 pm

For some reason I have my suspicions it was probably a crummy "sound alike" :D Who knows though.
Zack

Postby incognitus » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:40 pm

notice that the box says "no batteries required", thats a little strange y'know.
Millions of years of climbing up from the ooze, instantly reversed. Imagine the horror as it all slips away. It's worse than mere death. It's being undone
incognitus

Postby 1upmushroom » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:16 pm

Isn't this a little feminine?

Yes. I know. It was my ex wife's.

But you wear this stuff?!

Yeah on an occasion we have a date.
1upmushroom
No Leak Too Small

Postby Prime Evil » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:18 pm

incognitus wrote:notice that the box says "no batteries required", thats a little strange y'know.

Not necessarily; battery-operated talking toys didn't really come into vogue until 1994/1995. These guys might be* old-school pullstring toys with a miniature "record player" inside.

(*"Might be"? They most assuredly are, if you ask me...Talking Urkel was one of the last great pullstring dolls. The Woody and Jessie dolls from Toy Story, while made to emulate a traditional pullstring, actually featured a solid-state, battery powered voice chip.)
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby ultimateemail5000 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:25 pm

1upmushroom wrote:I found a goomba figure on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Nintendo-Su ... 3ef94f839e

Yeah, I tried to find the figures but that's all I could find movie Mario wise, but according to Zack, it's very easy to find in a search...
ultimateemail5000
No Leak Too Small

Postby Phlibbit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Prime Evil wrote:
incognitus wrote:notice that the box says "no batteries required", thats a little strange y'know.

Not necessarily; battery-operated talking toys didn't really come into vogue until 1994/1995. These guys might be* old-school pullstring toys with a miniature "record player" inside.

(*"Might be"? They most assuredly are, if you ask me...Talking Urkel was one of the last great pullstring dolls. The Woody and Jessie dolls from Toy Story, while made to emulate a traditional pullstring, actually featured a solid-state, battery powered voice chip.)

That's exactly what they are, with the record-player whatsit thing. I'm not sure if the ones I have are busted or if it's just the passage of time on the voices, but the voices are skewed. You can hear what they're saying but they don't sound like they should.
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Phlibbit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:39 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:
1upmushroom wrote:I found a goomba figure on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Nintendo-Su ... 3ef94f839e

Yeah, I tried to find the figures but that's all I could find movie Mario wise, but according to Zack, it's very easy to find in a search...

Never search for SMB Movie stuff by eBay categories alone; no one ever lists stuff in the correct categories. Just do some searches like "super mario bros 1993" or "super mario bros ertl."
Phlibbit
SMB Archaeologist

Postby Prime Evil » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:41 pm

Phlibbit wrote:That's exactly what they are, with the record-player whatsit thing. I'm not sure if the ones I have are busted or if it's just the passage of time on the voices, but the voices are skewed. You can hear what they're saying but they don't sound like they should.

Woody wrote:Who are you calling 'busted', buster? That's right...I'm talking to you, Sid. Phillips.
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby Zack » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Zack

Postby Prime Evil » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:22 pm

"HE-MAN! HE-MAN! HE-MAN!" :mrgreen:
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby incognitus » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Prime Evil wrote:

thanks
incognitus

Postby Zack » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:01 pm

a New Years Emergency Room trip might keep me from making a video too soon but here are a few pics. This toy is awesome!!! :D :D :D

Zack

Postby Zack » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:01 pm

IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG (96.11 KiB) Viewed 9527 times

Well figured I'd kinda start "scouting locations". In a perfect world, I'd really like to do a nice video up right and really do the toy justice in the process. :)
Zack

Re: Official SMB Merchandise Thread

Postby marioblaster » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 pm

That is too awesome!
Papercut 2 Feature Film A Studio Sandman Production Studio Sandman
marioblaster
They say it's "dog"

Postby Prime Evil » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Why do I get the feeling I saw one of those in the FAO Schwarz in one of my past lives?
Prime Evil
You Just Gotta Believe

Postby billbot85 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:33 am

Prime Evil wrote:Why do I get the feeling I saw one of those in the FAO Schwarz in one of my past lives?

I believe that it would've been there! FAO Schwartz is one of the biggest and most famous toys stores in the country. They don't sell vintage toys though, do they? Because if they had some of those police cars that would rock!
"Sir...the goombas are dancing again."
billbot85

Next

Return to Merchandise